Smartlist 101: Assign Max # of records to be selected

• Smartlist 101: Assign Max # of records to be selected

Posted by Thomas-Jerome on December 15, 2016 at 3:16 pm
    • Thomas Jerome

December 15, 2016 at 3:16 PM

When creating a new smartlist, where can I set the maximum number of records to be selected so that it will default to that number each time I run the smartlist?  I understand that I can either change this number manually when I run the smartlist, or I can create a favorite which has the maximum # of records entered, but how do you set it for the main smartlist?

——————————
      Thomas Jerome
      Systems Analyst
      City of Plantation
      Plantation FL
      ——————————

• Adam Martin

December 15, 2016 at 3:21 PM

This can be changed under SmartList Options. Navigation Pane > Administration > Setup > System > SmartList Options. Please be aware that these are system settings that will affect all of your GP companies.

——————————
      Adam Martin
      Support Manager, Consultant
      Software Solutions Group, Inc.
      Amherst NY
      ————————————————————————-

• Thomas Jerome

December 15, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Adam

I am referring to the maximum record counts at the bottom left of the smartlist window when the smartlist is initially run. (see attachment).  I know I can change this after the smartlist is run, but I want to set this (First 1000 records) to a higher number for particular smartlists.without having to create a “favorite” for this smartlist.

The smartlist options window you are referring to already has 999,999 as the maximum number of records.

——————————
      Thomas Jerome
      Systems Analyst
      City of Plantation
      Plantation FL

• Jake Stromecki

December 15, 2016 at 4:32 PM

On the SmartList Options, screen you will need to set the Maximum Records for each Category.

——————————
      Jake Stromecki
      Software Solutions Group, Inc.
      Amherst NY

• Bill Schulz

December 15, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Thomas,

Adam is giving directions to changing the system default for the smatlist in question. See below:

However, for Smartlist Favorites that have already been saved, this will not change the maximum count for the favorite, just for the default setting for that group. In my example above, the Accounts default is now 999,999, but any Accounts favorites already existing retain their current maximum. Below, that would mean “Balance Sheet1” and “Income Statement” are still set to 1,000 maximum even though I changed Accounts to 999,999. To change those, simply open their search options, change the Maximum and click Modify.

Note that this is set separately for each category of Smartlists. Is it possible the first category “Accounts” is set to 999,999 but the category you are looking at is not set to that high number?

If your system is not working that way, then you have something else going on, and I am not helping! Good luck.

——————————
      Bill Schulz
      Turnkey Technologies, Inc.
      St. Louis MO

• Rob Klaproth

December 15, 2016 at 4:41 PM

You can not change it without setting a favorite, but you can set a SYSTEM WIDE default as the administrator, go to Microsoft Dynamics GP Menu | Tools | Setup | System | SmartList Options

——Original Message——

Adam

I am referring to the maximum record counts at the bottom left of the smartlist window when the smartlist is initially run. (see attachment).  I know I can change this after the smartlist is run, but I want to set this (First 1000 records) to a higher number for particular smartlists.without having to create a “favorite” for this smartlist.

The smartlist options window you are referring to already has 999,999 as the maximum number of records.

——————————
      Thomas Jerome
      Systems Analyst
      City of Plantation
      Plantation FL
      ——————————

• Thomas Jerome

December 16, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses,  it does make sense.  Now my only question is where do you assign the category for a smartlist?  I see options in Smartlist Builder for Product & Series but nothing for category.

——————————
      Thomas Jerome
      Systems Analyst
      City of Plantation
      Plantation FL

• Frank Heslin

December 16, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Hi Thomas,

When you say you are creating a new SmartList, do you mean you are selecting the default (*) SmartList, and setting it up how you want then saving it as a favorite, or are you using SmartList Builder?

If you are just using SmartList, and customizing a default, then that SmartList will automatically be in the Category that the default report was in.  You can’t change or set a category in SmartList.

If you’re using SmartList Builder, let me know, and I’ll follow up with info about that.

Hope this helps!

——————————
      Frank Heslin
      Financial Systems Administrator
      ExamWorks, Inc.
      Atlanta GA

Member, GPUG Advisory Committee
      Chairman, Georgia Regional GPUG Chapter
      Summit 2016 Track Leader

GP2015 R2
      MR CU14

Follow me on Twitter: @Automate_It

GPUGGA – http://www.gpug.com/Atlanta

*** Help Us, Help You…provide enough info so that we don’t have to ask for more:) ***
      *** If you solve your issue please share the solution to assist others! ***

• Rob Klaproth

December 16, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Hi Thomas,
      I don’t want to muddy the waters but if you really do want to set the default # of documents for each SmartList individually you may want to look into buying SmartView from eOne.  It’s very inexpensive and allows you to set the defaults for each smartlist, even the default ones:
      You can even hide Smartlists that you don’t use, and users won’t see them any more.  In addition with SmartView you can do sum, and group by without having to build a smartlist builder report.    Lastly, it is much faster then Smartlist, and you can lock smartlist favorites so users can’t change them (in GP2016R2 you will also be able to lock them without SmartVIew). 🙂
      Rob

——Original Message——

Hi Thomas,

When you say you are creating a new SmartList, do you mean you are selecting the default (*) SmartList, and setting it up how you want then saving it as a favorite, or are you using SmartList Builder?

If you are just using SmartList, and customizing a default, then that SmartList will automatically be in the Category that the default report was in.  You can’t change or set a category in SmartList.

If you’re using SmartList Builder, let me know, and I’ll follow up with info about that.

Hope this helps!

——————————
      Frank Heslin
      Financial Systems Administrator
      ExamWorks, Inc.
      Atlanta GA

Member, GPUG Advisory Committee
      Chairman, Georgia Regional GPUG Chapter
      Summit 2016 Track Leader

GP2015 R2
      MR CU14

Follow me on Twitter: @Automate_It

GPUGGA – http://www.gpug.com/Atlanta

*** Help Us, Help You…provide enough info so that we don’t have to ask for more:) ***
      *** If you solve your issue please share the solution to assist others! ***
      ——————————

• Rob Klaproth

December 16, 2016 at 1:23 PM

There isn’t a category.  It is broken out by series so if you select sales it will add it under sales.  If you select smartlist builder it will put it in the additional smartlists folder. 
      It will save under the series you select as whatever name you call that smartlist.   Then the user can create their own favorites there. 

Sent from my iPhone

——Original Message——

Thank you everyone for your responses,  it does make sense.  Now my only question is where do you assign the category for a smartlist?  I see options in Smartlist Builder for Product & Series but nothing for category.

——————————
      Thomas Jerome
      Systems Analyst
      City of Plantation
      Plantation FL
      ——————————

• Jen Kuntz

December 18, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Hi Thomas,

“Category” is a misnomer here… there is no such thing in smartlists. 

For each smartlist object (the “yellow folder” where you can create favourites underneath is an “object”), you can use the Smartlist Options approach as people have outlined above. For each object, you can set a maximum, that applies only to the default * smartlist in that object.  If you make favourites from that default AFTER changing the max, your favourite will also have the max setting but that max setting you choose in Smartlist Options will not “roll down” to existing favourites. Hopefully that makes sense.

Each “smartlist object” is grouped into something that I suppose could be a category but it’s more a functional area or module/product. In Smartlist Builder, you can choose this, however you are choosing from the options available to you which are product names (from your Dynamics.set file) for anything not considered a “core” module, and for core modules, you can choose a series. For instance, HR is not core, so you can only pick “Human Resources” but not specify anything below that level.

Hopefully that helps clarify some things.

Jen

——————————
      Jen Kuntz, CPA, CGA
      Microsoft MVP, Business Solutions
      Kuntz Consulting Inc.
      Cambridge, ON, Canada

Thomas-Jerome replied 7 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Smartlist 101: Assign Max # of records to be selected’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!