over withheld HSA

• over withheld HSA

Posted by Pam-Hoyt on December 30, 2016 at 12:58 pm
    • Pam Hoyt

December 30, 2016 at 12:58 PM

On the last check of the year I withheld $.08 too much and went over the maximum allowable to withhold for HSA for one employee.   How do I make an adjustment to return the $.08, reduce the HSA deduction, and increase the FICA, state, local, and federal taxable wages by $.08?  I tried doing a manual check and entered the HSA deduction as  – .08.   It would not post because it said there was no gross amount.  I tried doing adjustment also.  Would I need to manually adjust the taxable wages or would changing the HSA deduction automatically adjust the taxable wage amounts?  Seems like I am close to doing this correctly but not quite.  When I tried doing as an adjustment it said I couldn’t save because there was no bank account listed but it was grayed out so I couldn’t select an account.  Any help here?

——————————
      Pam Hoyt
      Quantum Services
      Columbus OH
      ——————————

• Wally Dodds

December 31, 2016 at 7:29 AM

Pam,

If you do not intend to process another check for the employee this year then you are on the right track.  You need/want to enter a Manual Check but choose the option ‘Beginning Balance’ this will allow you to enter whatever you want with respect to Positive and Negative amounts.  You will need to enter values in the Deduction Code as negative to reduce the YTD amount and then you will want to enter amounts in the Fed, FICA, etc. buckets to increase the amounts as needed.  Be sure to also add an amount to the Fed Taxable Wages, State Taxable Wages otherwise your W2, W3 and 941 will be off by the amount of the Deduction your adjusting.

The Beginning Balance Trx type allows for an unbalanced entry and it doesn’t hit the GL.  Make sure the date you enter this change/edit on is the date of your last check in 2016.  This will prevent the edit from showing up on your Schedule B.

——————————
      Wally Dodds
      Dorado Solutions
      West Chester PA
      ————————————————————————-

Pam-Hoyt replied 7 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘over withheld HSA’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!