GP 18.6.1695 (2023) Inventory Item Update Tool?

• GP 18.6.1695 (2023) Inventory Item Update Tool?

Posted by Clay Tait on April 3, 2024 at 6:44 pm

Hello

We have been in business 45 yrs, and recently added several new product lines, but some existing and discontinued product lines have conflicting Prefix’s as their Item Number. And the prefixes we use for other Current Inventory Item Numbers don’t make as much sense as they should. After 45 yrs, it would be great if we could quickly Mass Modify existing (and Old) Item numbers with a better prefix for all of our various products so that we can modernize our numbering system. Is there such a tool out there, that would change a range of Item Numbers for us and that would change the Inventory, Purchasing, and Sales tables (including Historic numbers), so that searches and history still work logically?

Thank
    you

Devon Southall replied 2 weeks, 2 days ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Chris Giesbrecht

April 3, 2024 at 6:59 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hi Clay,

Absolutely there is a tool for that. And better yet, you probably have it (might need to be installed and turned on). It is called the Professional Services Tools Library, and referred to as PSTL (pronounced “Pistol”). You can install it from the GP installer. After it is installed you can either update item’s numbers or merge 2 items into 1 new item number. This will also update the IV, POP, SOP and other related core GP tables. It will update all the historical transactions. If you have a lot of 3rd party ISV products, you will need to know if it will work with them as well. Some it will work fine and some have additional things you need to do. You will probably want to test it out in a test company if you have to make sure everything works the way it should in your specific environment, as there will be no ‘undo’ button. There are also sql stored procedures that can be run to update in bulk if you have a lot of items to update.

Hope this helps you out!

• Clay Tait

April 3, 2024 at 7:21 pm
      Up
      Down

Wow! Thank you Chris for replying so quickly.

I will look into it, but Yes, I think I have seen it mixed in there somewhere (maybe on the server?). Now that you have given me something to look for, I will go from there.

Another question, we have never implemented the direct emailing out of our customers Invoices, Quotes or Statements, because our partner was not able to get the emailing feature working (we have tried for several year and finally gave up). So we currently print of the documents (Invoices, Quotes or Statements), and scan them (email them) from our printer to our own AR Clerks email, and then we re-email them out to our customers. Is there a trick to get the direct email working? We are in Canada and would you have an guestimate on what you would charge us get this working on our system? We would discuss this privately obviously.

bctait@taitdistributors.ca 1 780 451 4321

• Kerry Hataley

Organizer
    April 3, 2024 at 9:25 pm
    Up
    Down

Hi Clay,

To add to Chris’s comments and PSTL tools. These are designed to do a single item at a time.

You can create a macro to do this but if you are talking about 10k or more items this would take a very long time.

To accomplish this you will need to develop code that can manage the process via a mapping file.

The second consideration is if you have 3rd party products. PSTl tools will NOT handle those.

Look to hire a GP data expert.

• Clay Tait

April 4, 2024 at 12:06 pm
    Up
    Down

Thank you Chris & Kerry for you reponses. Yes, I signed on as SA and notice that the PSTL tool is for a single item at time (which would take a long time). but we can do some limited work with it, so that is great.

For the emailing, we currently do not use the Word Templates (just the a Modified SOP BLANK INVOICE FORM), and I am not an expert in that, so I will need to understand more and probably need help in getting Word Templates setup. And the info on the Exchange Server will also help in narrowing down any potiental issues. – Thank You Kerry.

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!