What is your CE Database Size and How to Manage Activity Pointer Base

• What is your CE Database Size and How to Manage Activity Pointer Base

Posted by Chris Lewis on June 7, 2023 at 3:50 pm

Hi all!

I have a couple of questions for you.

What is your database size for CE Sales/Service? Is 170 GB considered small? We are constantly riding against our maximum and run custom bulk delete jobs to get it in check. We are only using CRM lightly at the moment and plan to grow it’s usage and user adoption, I’m very worried about blowing our database out of the water.

What about your Activity Pointer Base? Ours is CONSTANTLY blowing up to huge numbers and takes up a majority of our database (98GB out of 170BG total) It seems that stored emails is the culprit, but I’m not sure how to efficiently solve this, even with reading through google search results, it seems a lot of people just try to remove all email records and store them somewhere in Data Lake or Data Factory. I find it strange and not very future proof to be able to handle this data. With all of the AI tools coming out, it seems you would want your contextual data available for the models to run on.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I should add, we also saw that there is a feature in preview that seems promising, however, I’m not sure that stored historical data would be accessible by sales and customer service reps.

Jim Corriveau replied 9 months, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Jeff Woodard

June 7, 2023 at 4:24 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

We have about 40 users and use it pretty heavily, but are only at around 12GB on the database. We struggle with the size of the same table though. One item I’m working on is removing duplicate e-mail addresses. At one point we made the call to set up employees as contacts, which lead to duplicate e-mail pointer records under both the user and contact records. Right off the bat that’s doubling the size of the activity pointer table. I also discovered an application user that had a shared mailbox that was somehow syncing every e-mail, including spam, and creating contacts for the spammers to add insult to injury. I know there also have been glitches in the past where CRM was doing some weird things and randomly tracking e-mail that it shouldn’t have and lead to a lot of bloat. You can also user the XRM Toolbox User Settings utility to look at the rules that each user has set – you may find someone is inadvertently syncing all e-mails.

• Chris Lewis

June 7, 2023 at 5:17 pm
      Up
      Down

We only have 46 users and we are paying for an additional 100GB of storage. We just can’t justify the expense of expanding the database. I think something is wrong. I have opened a Microsoft support ticket to see if maybe we’re having an indexing issue. I am also going to dig through some of your recommendations. It just seems crazy that as soon as I clear up 10 GB of data, it’s back in 5 days.

• Tina Silver

June 7, 2023 at 4:27 pm
    Up
    Down

We use MSCRM-AddOns to move email attachments and content to Azure to give us space back and store for a whole lot cheaper. We were over 100GB before we started with them. We have 45GB still and that is too expensive for us.

• Chris Lewis

June 7, 2023 at 5:22 pm
      Up
      Down

What was your experience like implementing this tool? Was it pretty easy? Reliable?

Can users easily access the attachments that are moved to external storage? I’m a bit new to this environment, so I’m trying to learn as I go. I’m trying to save space without putting my sales folks at a disadvantage.

• Richard Bilski

June 8, 2023 at 4:56 am
    Up
    Down

Quite topical for us actually. Our production AP is currently 147Gb, mostly Email content. We also use MS-CRM add ons Attachment Extractor to move email attachments to SharePoint and this has reduced our File usage dramatically. Attachments are now about 22Gb.

We were considering using the tool to extract Email body to Azure blob storage, but last week we noticed that one of our sandbox environments that also has a lot of Email had a dramatic drop in AP usage from 81Gb to 13Gb. In parallel we noticed that there was a new line item in File usage for ‘Email’ which is sitting at around 3Gb.

After puzzling over it, we raised a ticket with MS Support and they came back with the following:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/developer/data-platform/email-activity-entities?branch=main#email-storage

So it looks like this is rolling out across the board and we are going to wait now and see what affect it has on our production DB usage.

FWIW I didn’t see any notifications about this change in the message centre, so I suspect it will be a bit of a surprise to most.

• Jim Corriveau

July 7, 2023 at 9:09 am
    Up
    Down

Community,

For those that use MSCRM-ADDONS AttachmentExtractor, what did you do? How has Microsoft moving objects to blob storage impacted your AE process?

Thank you,

Jim

The discussion ‘What is your CE Database Size and How to Manage Activity Pointer Base’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!