Users cannot reply to emails

• Users cannot reply to emails

Posted by Missy Oclon on June 5, 2023 at 6:16 pm

Users are having issues replying to emails on cases where the email does not exist as a contact. The email shows in red. We are in a business where we need to respond to outside emails and may not necessarily want to the person to exist as a contact. I initially was leaning towards a permission issue because I tested sending an email to one of the examples and it worked, however I have admin rights. Any thoughts on a special permission or workaround?

Jim Corriveau replied 10 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • richard.nowak@milwaukeetool.com

June 6, 2023 at 9:52 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hi Missy,

Sorry to hear about the issue replying to emails.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to send emails “just to an email address.” The CRM email entity sends emails to ActivityParty entities, and these ActivityParties must be some kind of entity that is emailable.

Back in the day, when we needed to send emails to a person associated with a custom entity, I used a process to create Contact “ghosts” so that we could send them emails. Today, custom entities may be configured to be emailable, so if you don’t want to create a Contact for these people, you could make a custom entity instead that is emailable. Perhaps it would be called “EmailParty,” and I bet you could make a process (maybe a workflow) that when receiving an email from a person who is not a Contact, would automatically create an EmailParty for that person so that you could send them an email.

Bottom line though, is it’s got to be some sort of entity… not just an email address.

• Jim Corriveau

July 7, 2023 at 9:29 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

Rick – I’m not sure this is true anymore. Our Customer Service sends emails out of CRM to just an email address. It shows the email address in red, but the email still goes and if the addressee replies to any CRM User, CRM creates a contact record for that email address. Granted, the Contact information is nothing more than an email address with all of the required fields blank, but it’s a start and it identifies the email address as legitimate since there was a reply.

Missy – Since you were able to send an email as a sys admin but not a User, then it is likely permissions related or User setting related.

Hope this helps,

Jim

The discussion ‘Users cannot reply to emails’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!