Power Automate – Sending email 3 days before a due date

• Power Automate – Sending email 3 days before a due date

Posted by John Heck on June 14, 2023 at 1:49 pm

Hello, I have a list with a Due Date in it and I want to send an email when the due date is within 3 days of todays date. Every item in the list has a person assigned to it. An email should go out to each individual with a list of items that are due within 3 days of today that are assigned to that person. I am having an issue with getting all items that are due within 3 days of today.

Has any one else tried this with success that can lend some ideas?

Kind regards,
    John

Pablo Moreno replied 10 months, 2 weeks ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Pablo Moreno

Organizer
    June 14, 2023 at 2:12 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hello John,

can you create a new calculated column where ‘today() – 3’ to trigger the emails?

• landon-jochim

June 14, 2023 at 2:47 pm
    Up
    Down

Pablo’s idea wont work as a calculated column only calculates when an item is created/modified.

I would recommend creating a scheduled workflow that runs daily. Add a step to Get Items from your SharePoint list with a filter query of DueDate eq addToTime(utcNow(),+3,’Day’,’yyyy-MM-dd’). This will give you only items where the DueDate is exactly 3 days from today. Then within an Apply to Each loop, send the email to each item’s person assigned

• kevin-zollinger

June 14, 2023 at 3:31 pm
    Up
    Down

I don’t have time to share a screen shot of working code, but this sounds like a great place to use an Odata filter on a SharePoint Get Items action. You would want to test your Due Date against utcNow() + 3 days and only select that record if the Due Date is less than that. That means you are only processing those records you need to touch and also that every record that makes it through the filter needs to be touched.

Good luck!

• Jonathan Hall

June 14, 2023 at 4:08 pm
    Up
    Down

+1 for Landon’s suggestion. I have several Power Automate flows running daily that do just that. If your due date is a manually selected date it’s pretty straight forward with the ODATA filter on the Get Items query. It can be tricky if your due date is a calculated column, but it’s still possible.

• Pablo Moreno

Organizer
    June 15, 2023 at 5:53 am
    Up
    Down

Thank you @landonjochim for your contribution

The discussion ‘Power Automate – Sending email 3 days before a due date’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!