Year End Update Failed – Modified Reports

• Year End Update Failed – Modified Reports

Posted by Bradd Notestine on December 31, 2016 at 12:28 pm
    • Bradd Notestine

December 31, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Last night we ran the Year End Update for our Dynamics GP 2013 install. I performed the update on the server and everything was going extremely smoothly until the point where it needed to update our modified forms and reports. 

SCJvzYOTQLGE9tv92aPR_2016-12-30_21-11-27.jpg

It was indicating it couldn’t open reports.dic. Closed down the forms, tried opening GP but now we are obviously getting all sorts of Add In failed to load errors. I restored all of the original modified reports and forms (shared dictionary files) and attempted to upgrade again but still got a failure though with slightly different results. Something about being unable to find a certain HR ACA table. Unknown table: ‘uprMstrEmployeeACA’ The Input file has errors.

I’m noticing a lot of differences in our DYNAMICS.SET file on the server vs. my workstation where I do most of my admin work. When I run the update modify reports and forms in GP Utilities from my admin workstation (after successfully installing the year end update to my client machine), I get a much larger list of Modified Reports and Forms that do not appear to be on the server. 

Short of a full restore of all the databases and resetting everything back, I’m at a lose for next steps and need to get GP back online by Tuesday morning. 

Anyone have any ideas to help save my holiday weekend? 

Update Modified Forms and Reports 
Select the products whose modified forms and repots you want to update 
and choose the update button 
Microsoft Dynamics GP 
WennSoft Products 
Product was updated with errors 
Update 
Details

——————————
      Bradd Notestine
      IT Manager
      MPS Group, Inc.
      Farmington Hills MI
      ——————————

• Bradd Notestine

January 1, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Made significant progress with our failed upgrade but have decided to do a full restore. 

Thanks.

——————————
      Bradd Notestine
      IT Manager
      MPS Group, Inc.
      Farmington Hills MI
      ————————————————————————-

• Jeff Martin

January 2, 2017 at 11:58 AM

Hi Bradd,

It cloud be detrimental for this group to make specific recommendations since we know little about your GP environment and there are so many factors to consider.  Doing updates when you have modified forms and reports can sometimes be difficult and adding 3rd party products into the mix can introduce even more complications.  It is best to have a GP partner involved in this type of update unless you have strong understanding of the process. 

At this point you may want to read carefully through the changes included in the GP 2013 year end update to determine if you can just close the year without it for now.  You would still want to run the payroll tax update after you close the year.

——————————
      Jeff Martin
      Director of IT
      DeRosa Corporation
      Wauwatosa WI

• Michael Taranto, CPA

January 3, 2017 at 11:26 AM

Hi Bradd,

Normally I would export out your custom reports and forms.  You can find it under the Tools-customize-customization maintenance.  Select all and click on export.  It will create a file with the extension package.  I then usually rename the reports.dic and the forms.dic and those for Wennsoft and other third parties.  After performing the update you can use the same path and import your package file.

In a pinch you can create a new reports.dic and import using the report writer.  For this you would open the report writer and click on the reports menu item.  On the corresponding screen you can click on the import

Michael Taranto, CPA

Office: 740-951-0220

Cell: 614-207-1782

mtaranto@erpconsultingLLC.com

http://www.erpconsultingllc.com

logo_erpconsultingllc_050316 SMALL

——Original Message——

Hi Bradd,

It cloud be detrimental for this group to make specific recommendations since we know little about your GP environment and there are so many factors to consider.  Doing updates when you have modified forms and reports can sometimes be difficult and adding 3rd party products into the mix can introduce even more complications.  It is best to have a GP partner involved in this type of update unless you have strong understanding of the process. 

At this point you may want to read carefully through the changes included in the GP 2013 year end update to determine if you can just close the year without it for now.  You would still want to run the payroll tax update after you close the year.

——————————
      Jeff Martin
      Director of IT
      DeRosa Corporation
      Wauwatosa WI
      ——————————

• Michael Meloni

January 2, 2017 at 6:50 AM

Bradd,

It looks light you are attempting a system upgrade rather than executing the Year end close procedure.   To initiate either, you will want to be sure that all users are out of the system and that you have stopped the Dynamics.exe processes on all RDS servers accessing GP.  If you are intending an upgrade to the next version, you will want to read and folllow the instruction document, first in a test environment, then in production.  This gives you a chance to research and resolve any issues.    You also will probably want to be ready to open an incident with MS when you encounter issues.   You will want to be sure that all users Dynamics.set files are pointing to the same Reports and Forms dictionaries path.   

——————————
      Michael Meloni
      MRP Manager
      Hautelook
      Los Angeles CA

• Thomas McDonnell

January 3, 2017 at 11:04 AM

I see I’m a bit late in spotting this as you’ve already done a full restore. However, some info that may be of value to you or others in the future related to problems with upgraded reports/form dictionaries.

What I do is I export all of my customizations to a package file prior to upgrades via the Customization Maintenance screen. Then after the upgrade is complete, I rename the report/forms.dic files and import from the package file. This will create new report/forms.dic files.

By doing it this way I skip the step of using GP Utilities to upgrade the dictionaries and find it to be a much quicker and reliable process. YMMV.

——————————
      Thomas McDonnell
      Business Analyst / ERP Manager
      Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar Cooperative
      Renville MN

Bradd Notestine replied 7 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Year End Update Failed – Modified Reports’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!