Upgrade to R2 with Year End Update

• Upgrade to R2 with Year End Update

Posted by DSC Communities on December 22, 2016 at 1:08 pm
    • Manuel Vasquez

December 22, 2016 at 1:08 PM

We completed our upgrade from GP 2013 R2 to GP 2016 RTM around November 28th 2016. Around the first week of December we received a notification that the year end update would have R2 bundled with the package.

The problem we face is that we have many 3rd party add-ins like MEM, Fastpath Config AD, Rockton Auditor and GP Toolbox, etc.

In order to get the update installed, we would have to check with each software vendor for compatibility with R2.

Has anyone moved from GP 2016 RTM to R2 using the year end update? Are there critical issues I should be concerned about?

Thank you,

Manuel

——————————
      Manuel Vasquez
      Applications/Programmer Analyst
      Kings View Corporation
      Fresno CA
      ——————————

• Carol Kossoris

December 22, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Are you using payroll?  If you are running payroll and need to put on the service pack, can you set up a test environment in which to test your 3rd parties before doing a live upgrade? I have not heard of any critical issues with the service pack.

——————————
      Carol Kossoris
      GP Consultant
      Heartland Business Systems, LLC
      Pewaukee WI
      ————————————————————————-

• Manuel Vasquez

December 22, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Carol,

We only use the HR and Payroll for historical data. We use a local company for our payroll. We use Integration Manager to integrate that company’s exported csv file to GL.

This would be the first year of not loading the year end update due to the possibility of 3rd party conflicts.

——————————
      Manuel Vasquez
      Kings View Corporation
      Fresno CA

• Rob Klaproth

December 22, 2016 at 6:41 PM

You can download the tax updates without updating to R2.. But since you’re not using payroll there really is no reason to do so.  I’m not even certain why you need the year end update without payroll, maybe some of the 1099 stuff has changed?

——Original Message——

Carol,

We only use the HR and Payroll for historical data. We use a local company for our payroll. We use Integration Manager to integrate that company’s exported csv file to GL.

This would be the first year of not loading the year end update due to the possibility of 3rd party conflicts.

——————————
      Manuel Vasquez
      Kings View Corporation
      Fresno CA
      ——————————

• Manuel Vasquez

December 28, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Rob,

My finance team was thinking they may require the 1099-INT and fixed assets Luxury Auto depreciation deduction amount changes. After careful review we determined that we don’t require them.

We are able to forego the update.

I am creating a test environment with R2. I plan on testing each of our 3rd party products to ensure compatibility. One product that had an issue with GP 2016 RTM and MEM was Infinia Integrator but Tom at Infinia was great on getting the bug worked out.

-Manuel 

——————————
      Manuel Vasquez
      Kings View Corporation
      Fresno CA

• John Frye

December 23, 2016 at 9:05 AM

This is the same situation we are in. We thoroughly tested 2016R1 and went live just before R2 was released. One of our third parties was not ready for R2, but now is. Our VAR is telling us to install R2 and the year-end without testing but I have concerns as this is more than a year-end update. Interested to see what others are hearing from their consultants on this.

——————————
      John Frye
      Financial Services Director
      Village of Pinehurst
      Pinehurst NC

• Rob Klaproth

December 23, 2016 at 9:25 AM

The biggest change structurally in R2 is bank reconciliation.  If your 3rd party products interface with it then you will want to verify with the vendor that they are ready.  I am pretty sure binary stream MEM would interface with bank Rec.  Nolan ABR even though it’s a bank Rec product does not as far as I know because their product bypasses the GP bank Rec completely and interfaces directly with the GL. 
      It’s always a good idea to test any update you apply.  You do not have to apply the R2 update.  You can download the tax update file separately from customersource or apply it inside of GP directly from the tools menu if you know your company’s authorization number, as GP will ask you for that when you go to the tax update screen.  Your partner can get that number for you from the partnersource business center.   It would be the main phone number for your company when you first bought GP.  Many people have had GP for so long that they don’t even know what that number is any more. 🙂
      Sent from my iPhone

——Original Message——

This is the same situation we are in. We thoroughly tested 2016R1 and went live just before R2 was released. One of our third parties was not ready for R2, but now is. Our VAR is telling us to install R2 and the year-end without testing but I have concerns as this is more than a year-end update. Interested to see what others are hearing from their consultants on this.

——————————
      John Frye
      Financial Services Director
      Village of Pinehurst
      Pinehurst NC
      ——————————

• Manuel Vasquez

December 28, 2016 at 11:20 AM

John,

I’ve only been the accidental admin for GP at our company for 2 years. I would never advise anyone to update ANYTHING in GP without testing thoroughly. Even though the year end update should be fairly smooth there are cases of installation issues. Third party products only add to the possibility of encountering issues.

I would create a test environment and load the update there for testing.

-Manuel

——————————
      Manuel Vasquez
      Kings View Corporation
      Fresno CA

• Beat Bucher

December 23, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Manuel,

Microsoft has published a document about “What’s new in 2016R2”.. you can read more here and there is  a link at the bottom for the PDF download.

http://www.encorebusiness.com/blog/whats-new-microsoft-dynamics-gp-2016-r2/

——————————
      Beat Bucher
      Business Analyst, Dynamics GP MVP
      Ultra-Electronics Forensic Technology Inc.
      Montreal QC/Canada
      +1-514-489-4267
      @GP_Beat http://dyngpbeat.wordpress.com/
      Montreal QC GPUG Chapter Leader
      GP2013R2 / MR2012 CU14

DSC Communities replied 7 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Upgrade to R2 with Year End Update’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!