Unexpected lockup of GP for all users

• Unexpected lockup of GP for all users

Posted by Howard Blitstein on June 30, 2023 at 12:00 pm

Sorry for the long post…

We had an unexpected and unusual lockup of GP the other day. A user was running a series of payables check batches as she normally does and a batch of 88 invoices stopped responding during the post after the checks were printed. Once it stopped responding, all users started to lock up behind it. Screens stopped responding, users logging in were only getting a white screen once entering their credentials. Our dba saw the users SPID in SQL and could tell it was stopping GP as a whole. I looked at the usual suspect tables, SY00800 and 801, dex_lock and dex_sessions, activity, etc. The lockup remained for close to 45 minutes, and my dba and I were thinking of just disconnecting the SPIDs of the user causing the lockup when it cleared up. At that point GP came alive and users screens became active and logins were working. The batch that was stuck got thrown into Batch Recovery and recovered. The checks that were printed did not appear anywhere, and it was almost as they never printed. Our payables person verified that and after a discussion we decided to go ahead and print the checks again. The 88 checks printed without incident and posted to. Took about four minutes to complete. For reference we have 158 GP licenses with users connecting to one of five RDS servers. Our networking team did not see anything up on connectivity either.

Besides cleaning up the said tables, are there any other tables that should be cleared. PJournals has about 300 entries in it. It is weird that even though the clear pjournal job does run, it really doesn’t clear it. Not sure if that would be an issue here. I attributed the lock up to an GP anomaly to management but really would like to know what could have happened and how to be proactive that it doesn’t happen again.

Thanks in advance and again sorry for the long post.

Chris Donnelly replied 1 year ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Chris Donnelly

July 3, 2023 at 9:13 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

Howard,

What you experienced is not common. But, it does happen every now and then. I bet it was caused by a network or server hiccup. It sounds like you’ve taken the adequate/typical measures to ensure the integrity of your data and system.

You may also want to do these to sleep better at night…

– Ensure everything posted to GL ok.

– Run reconcile and checklinks. If these are new to you, do some research. There are some safety measures you should take (i.e. take an outage and run full SQL backups).

Chris

The discussion ‘Unexpected lockup of GP for all users’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!