Unable to open customizations dictionary

• Unable to open customizations dictionary

Posted by DSC Communities on January 3, 2017 at 9:56 am
    • Robert Nash

January 3, 2017 at 9:56 AM

We are having an issue trying to import a layout change to one of our customized layouts.  We go to Tools – Customization – Customization Maintenance, then we highlight the report we are going to upgrade, then click Import.  We then go out to our Package File we’ve created from our development machine (which is also GP 2015).  When we import we get a message saying “Unable to open customizations dictionary”. 

At first we discovered that there were some locked users in the SY00800 and 801 tables.  We were able to get those cleared out, however we are still getting the error (we had confirmed that there were no other users in the system or locked in those tables when we ran it again).  We are using a Poweruser to do this process, do we need to be sa?

Would anyone have any advice on how to deal with this or a solution?

Thanks

——————————
      Robert Nash
      PharMEDium Services, LLC
      Lake Forest IL
      ——————————

• Michael Taranto, CPA

January 3, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Hi Robert,

When I have this problem it is usually three things.  You already covered getting the users out.  I would also make sure the activity table in the Dynamics database is empty.  Couple other items I check is to make sure the folder of the reports.dic has read/write access for all the users that should. Next, if you have a terminal server/remote desktop, I check the task manager to see if there are some stranded sessions using Dynamics.exe.

Hope this helps.

Mike

——————————
      Michael Taranto
      ERP Consulting LLC
      Pataskala OH
      ————————————————————————-

• Rob Klaproth

January 3, 2017 at 1:05 PM

This happens all the time.  Users do not log out of GP and even though there are no users in the activity table they are still logged on.  
      On the server that is hosting your reports.dic file you will want to login and go to administrative tools and then go to shared files and folders and look at the open files tab it will show you what files are still open.  I guarantee you will see at least one stranded connection to reports.dic.  Right click on the user who is connected and select disconnect. 

Sent from my iPhone

——Original Message——

Hi Robert,

When I have this problem it is usually three things.  You already covered getting the users out.  I would also make sure the activity table in the Dynamics database is empty.  Couple other items I check is to make sure the folder of the reports.dic has read/write access for all the users that should. Next, if you have a terminal server/remote desktop, I check the task manager to see if there are some stranded sessions using Dynamics.exe.

Hope this helps.

Mike

——————————
      Michael Taranto
      ERP Consulting LLC
      Pataskala OH
      ——————————

• Diana Doane

January 3, 2017 at 2:11 PM

Another option for importing a report is to do so directly thru Report Writer.  However, you will need to use the Reports.dic file containing your modified report rather than your singular package file.

Since you’ve been modifying a report, you are familiar with Report Writer application?  In the Reports window, one side shows the list of Original Reports, the other side shows all Modified reports.  Click Import which opens a new window, click the ellipse on Source Dictionary and navigate to your Dev Reports.dic file, this will load all modified reports as a selection in the Source Dictionary Reports, highlight the target report then Insert it to the Reports to Import.  Then click on the Import button at the lower right.

This method does not check for users in the system so use must be governed by admin on when it is appropriate for this action. 

——————————
      Diana Doane
      Ascend Learning, LLC
      Leawood KS

• Bill Marshall

January 3, 2017 at 5:24 PM

Errors like this are unrelated to your GP security. It’s all about Windows security. You must have read-write access to the REPORTS.DIC file. This access might be impaired, in your situation, either by users currently logged in (if it’s a shared REPORTS.DIC file) or by security to the GPData folder. By default, Windows does not give read-write access to that folder under most circumstances. You might need to either change the security to the GPData folder or launch GP by right-clicking on the icon and choose “Run as Administrator”. 

——————————
      Bill Marshall
      President
      mc²

• Blair Christensen

January 4, 2017 at 12:29 PM

Just as an additional word of caution, but make sure to backup your REPORTS.DIC and FORMS.DIC files on a regular basis.  It is really easy for the import of a modified form or report to go sideways.

Also, make sure that all users are out of the system when you are trying to work on the dictionaries.  Anyone in the system can hold onto the dictionary and your changes won’t get saved – or they could immediately overwrite them making you think that nothing happened.  It’s a design flaw IMO, but it’s what you have to work with.

——————————
      Blair Christensen
      Database Administrator
      Oppenheimer Companies, Inc.
      Boise ID

DSC Communities replied 7 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Unable to open customizations dictionary’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!