Two companies with same Name in same GP instance

• Two companies with same Name in same GP instance

Posted by rheinrichs@liburdi.com on May 1, 2024 at 2:03 pm

Hey Everyone,

Just reaching out to see if anyone has had to setup a GP instance with 2 companies of the same name in GP? We have 2 companies in different countries with the same legal entity names that want to be a part of the same GP. Obviously GP states that you cant when you try to change names to the same as the other but we do orders, invoices, cheques/checks, payroll, etc from them. Any suggestions out there how to best handle this? Thanks

R

rheinrichs@liburdi.com replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Jo deRuiter

May 1, 2024 at 2:35 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hi Rick,

The databases can’t have the same name, but I’ve never seen it not take similar and exact names in the description of the database in the SY01500. However, if you are getting an error, try just adding a period (.) to the end of one of the names and let us know what happens

• Chris Giesbrecht

May 1, 2024 at 3:05 pm
    Up
    Down

I echo what Jo has said. Database names have to be different.

Also, the is a product by Binary Stream that allows you to run multiple legal entities inside 1 GP company, so you can share all your master record information (customers, items, vendors, etc) between the companies if that would make sense in your scenario. We use it and it works pretty slick for us!

• rheinrichs@liburdi.com

May 1, 2024 at 3:42 pm
      Up
      Down

Hey Chris,

Is this 1 actual GP company or still 2 and it syncs between them somehow? Not sure if this works cross borders and currencies?

R

• Jo deRuiter

May 3, 2024 at 7:42 am
    Up
    Down

Rick,

I would still advise to make the company names the same EXCEPT at the end of them you can add “US” and “CAN” or whatever countries they are in.

Such as ‘Aisling Dynamics US” and “Aisling Dynamics UK”.

That should distinguish for the end users AND you can use a different field to pull in any legal name you need on forms.

• Kerry Hataley

Organizer
    May 3, 2024 at 9:28 am
    Up
    Down

Good Morning Rick,

So there are a couple of concerns that you need to think about…

1. Is there any report, check or such that will display the ‘Company’ name and is that going to be the CORRECT LEGAL name that can be used.

For example I have my company registered in both US and Canada with the same name (Nanook Software, Inc) – I do not want US / CND for marketing reasons.

How I get around it is with the <space> trick. Since Dexterity (Programming in Dynamics GP) has code to strip spaces at the beginning and end of the Company Name, you need to **HIDE** the <space> in the Name. I hope the name is NOT a single word.

So for me I use:

Nanook<space>Software,Inc for US

Nanook<space>Software,<space>Inc for Canada

You see the <space> added to the ‘ ,Inc ‘

Now for single word company names, you have a problem – you must add a char somewhere.

You can add an extended ascii char or even a non printing ascii char- with care.

WARNING – DO NOT JUST change it in the SQL Table SY01500, it will create issues. I looked into the source code, you will have problems.

For the users, not to get confused I would suggest using one of the many tools that changes the background colour for each company. (Winthroup – GP Power Tools and WilloWare – GP PowerPack have tools available)

I hope this helps.

• rheinrichs@liburdi.com

May 3, 2024 at 10:46 am
      Up
      Down Accepted answer

Yes Kerry! We do have GP Power Tools but didnt realize the space thing and put these 2 together. Definitely the piece I was hoping for. This should do. Thanks so much!

R

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!