Removing multi currency

• Removing multi currency

Posted by DSC Communities on December 28, 2016 at 1:32 pm
    • Rob Klaproth

December 28, 2016 at 1:32 PM

We have a client that split their GP into two installations, one for the surviving companies which was basically left as-is and one for the companies that got sold.  I moved the “sold” companies over to a new instance of SQL and GP and restored DYNAMICS and those company DB’s that were sold, and ran clearcompanies to clear out all the other companies.   

The new companies do not use multi-currency, the old ones did.  So we have a ton of multi-currency setup that is hanging out in the system, but for the new companies they are on USD functional and reporting, so they do not need the MC setup information, of which there is a TON.

Can I remove the currencies not in use and just keep the USD one?  I know GP is pretty picky about this, but the only transactions that remain in this clients system are all in USD, the other companies with multi currency are not in the current environment, they are in the old environment.

Maybe I am just OCD, but since the client is not using multi currency (but will be using MR), it seems to be like it would be good idea to get all that stuff out of their system to keep it clean, and in the future if they want to implement their own multi-currency they may not want all that legacy data in there.

——————————
      Rob Klaproth
      Sr. Dynamics GP Consultant
      Armanino
      San Diego CA
      ——————————

• Bill Marshall

December 29, 2016 at 6:25 PM

You can probably remove all the old, expired exchange rate records and rate types in the various companies, but yes, GP can be sensative about MC changes.  I would disable currency access first, see how it goes for a few months and then delete them if all checks out. Check the MC… transaction tables to insure there’s no MC data. Of course different modules also store it in different tables. Also check the MC Revaluation tables.  Not sure if there’s an easy way to remove them from the MC Account Master.

——————————
      Bill Marshall
      President
      mc²
      ————————————————————————-

• Rob Klaproth

December 29, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Bill.  Access is already disabled in the surviving companies, they never had access to begin with (not even to the USD currency ironically enough) – they weren’t being used for Web Services or MR at the time so I guess the currencies were never assigned.  

——Original Message——

You can probably remove all the old, expired exchange rate records and rate types in the various companies, but yes, GP can be sensative about MC changes.  I would disable currency access first, see how it goes for a few months and then delete them if all checks out. Check the MC… transaction tables to insure there’s no MC data. Of course different modules also store it in different tables. Also check the MC Revaluation tables.  Not sure if there’s an easy way to remove them from the MC Account Master.

——————————
      Bill Marshall
      President
      mc²
      ——————————

• Don Pugh

December 30, 2016 at 1:34 PM

If the companies were never assigned to a different currency and they never used any foreigh currency, then you should be ok.  Just disabling access to the currencies for the companies would be the best solution.

Multi currency is very engangled in all the tables for all the modules.  I would be concerned about trying to clear/delete any of the tables, because they are so imbeded everywhere.

Multi Currency is easy to turn on, but a pain to turn off.

Don

——————————
      Don Pugh
      GP Consultant
      Sandon Associates
      Woodside CA
      ————————————————————————-

DSC Communities replied 7 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Removing multi currency’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!