Reconciling Aged Trial Balance to the GL

• Reconciling Aged Trial Balance to the GL

Posted by karla-dean on June 8, 2020 at 2:29 pm
    • Karla Dean

June 8, 2020 at 2:29 PM

?Can someone please lead me in the direction of reconciling the Aged Trial Balance with the GL?   I have researched the site for help but I  would love for someone to just tell me the process or send me in the right direction as there are many threads that come up when searching.
      Thank you so much in advance.

——————————
      Karla Dean
      MCCC
      Prestonsburg KY
      ——————————

• Kyle Malone, CPA

June 8, 2020 at 4:27 PM

Hi ,
      There is no one size-fits-all process but here’s a good checklist to maybe get you started.

– Run Aging Routine (Routines>>Aging)

– Apply Outstanding A/R (apply outstanding payments to outstanding invoices) – (Transactions>>Apply Sales Documents)

– Reconcile Subledger to G/L (Run Historical Aged TB in Sales & Compare with your A/R in the G/L)

– Assess Finance Charges (Routines>>Assess Finance Charges)

– Run Paid Transaction Removal (Routines>>Paid Transaction Removal)

– Generate Statements (Routines>>Statements)

Hope this helps & happy to elaborate if needed!
      -Kyle

——————————
      Kyle Malone, CPA, CPA
      GP Admin – CGB Enterprises, Inc.
      Lead Consultant/Blogger – https://alacarteGP.com
      Chapter Leader – Louisiana (New Orleans)
      Solugence | Find the software that FITS your business + integrates with GP. Find Software Smarter. https://solugence.com
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Vanessa Halacsy

June 9, 2020 at 7:14 AM

” – Reconcile Subledger to G/L (Run Historical Aged TB in Sales & Compare with your A/R in the G/L)” 
      Also note that there is a function in GP to compare those and generate a report: Financial >> Reconcile to GL >> Select which GL accounts correspond to the Receivables Management Module, select your dates, and run –

the main thing to be aware of, however, is that a Historical Aged Trial Balance can be run on “Document Date” OR “GL Posting Date”, which makes a big difference – GL Posting date is what the Reconcile to GL function will use for comparison. Also note that if you are accustomed to running your Historical Aged Trial Balance by Document date, it is possible that it will be wildly off from your GL because the date on the document does NOT have to match the posting date.

——————————
      Vanessa Halacsy
      Controller
      Wooster Motor Ways, Inc.
      Wooster OH
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Barbara Gavron

June 9, 2020 at 10:25 AM

Another approach to Kyle’s suggestion would involve using the Reconcile to GL tool found in the Routines section of the Financial page. It can be used for AP, AR, Banking and Inventory. Start with finding a month end date where the GL and the HATB matched (or if you are looking at the Banking module it would be the Checkbook balance). Then run this tool for the month following. It gets exported to excel and you will be able to see at the top that the beginning balances match and then there will be 3 sections below that. Unmatched, Potentially Matched and Matched.

The transactions you would want to concentrate on are in the top section. On the left will be transactions in the sub-ledger and on the right will be the GL transactions. There is a link to the original transaction included on the spreadsheet which will allow you to drill back and see the actual transaction. From there you can probably figure out what the issue is and correct it.

Some of the most common things that cause out of balance are:

1) Allowing posting to the control accounts. The only transactions that get posted to the control accounts should come from transactions posted from that module.
      2) Not Posting Through and the batch gets deleted. When you post a batch in the sub-ledger it will go TO the GL and wait for you to post it if you do not have the POST THROUGH checkbox marked. This may lead to someone inadvertently changing or deleting the batch, which will cause a mismatch.
      3) Having a difference in the Document Date and the GL Posting Date. If an invoice is dated 5/31 but the GL posting is 6/1 it will cause a timing difference for 1 day. However, if there are multiple transactions like this the difference may not get resolved.

These are just a few of the potential causes. 

Let us know if you would like additional assistance with this.

——————————
      Barbara Gavron
      Atlantic Beach / Jacksonville FL
      904-536-0129
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Lou Spevack

June 10, 2020 at 9:38 AM

Adding to Barbara’s excellent list, I find that voids can be an issue where the posting date and the void date fall in different periods.  To check this, I reprint my void posting journals for the period(s) in question. 
      I’ve attached a couple of KB articles I have found useful over time for reconciling to GL.  They may be dated, but the accounting principles haven’t changed.

——————————
      Lou Spevack
      American Council on Education
      Washington DC
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Janice Phelps

June 9, 2020 at 9:03 AM

If you are referring to reconciling the AR Trial Balance to the GL, I would also add the Receivables Distribution Report run for the AR account, and the Unapplied Documents report to use to make sure all documents are applied as needed. on the AP side, I would also run the Payables Distribution Report to make sure they tie to the GL. I usually recommend using the detail inquiry in the GL and run by the GJ source document to review any journal entries that may have been posted directly to AP or AR. 
      Happy reconciling!

——————————
      Janice Phelps
      Director, Professional Services
      Blue Moon Industries
      Providence RI
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Bruce Strom

June 9, 2020 at 10:11 AM

I have a series of blogs on balancing the GL to the various subledgers:

https://dynamicsgptipsandtraps.wordpress.com/

——————————
      Bruce Strom
      Programmer Analyst
      Paradise GP Consulting, Inc.
      Sunrise FL
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

karla-dean replied 3 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Reconciling Aged Trial Balance to the GL’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!