Named DYNAMICS db

• Named DYNAMICS db

Posted by Cecile Dinh on June 19, 2017 at 3:28 pm
    • Cecile Dinh

June 19, 2017 at 3:28 PM

m1wHFFVR8iOPaaf9qjog_Named_DYNAMICS.JPG?Once GP2010 DYNAMICS and ARC db is upgraded to GP2015, can I copy/restore DYNAMICS db into named ARC_DYNAMICS under GP2015 new server where DYNAMICS db already exist?
      ?

——————————
      Cecile Dinh
      Microsoft Dynamics GP Administrator
      ARC (Airlines Reporting Corporation)
      Arlington VA
      ——————————

• Tom Monfre

June 19, 2017 at 5:15 PM

Hi Cecile,

The short answer is yes and as you might imagine, there’s a but.  Not only do you have to setup your new GP instance with the new system database name but you have to run a few SQL scripts as well.  I did this same process when we upgraded to GP 2016 and it worked quite well.

I didn’t write the scripts and my apologies to the author(s) as I don’t remember where I found them but they are available online somewhere.

I had to rename the attached files to include the “.txt” file extension because the GPUG site wouldn’t allow “.sql” as the file extension.  

Anyway, edit and execute the GPCompanyUpdateDBNAME.sql SQL script on all company databases that will be attached to this system database.  Edit and execute the GPSY00100Update.sql script on all company databases that will be attached to this system database, replace DYNSL with your new system database name.  Edit and execute the GPSystemDBUpdate.sql script on the new system database, replace DYNMC with your new system database name.

Once all of this is done you will likely need to follow the security procedures that are part of the move GP to a new server instruction set.  Let me know if you need any more help with this procedure.

——————————
      Tom Monfre
      Batteries Plus Bulbs, LLC
      Hartland WI
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Beat Bucher

June 20, 2017 at 8:37 AM

Hi Tom,
      Thanks for the scripts to upgrade the DYNAMICS database name.. this could prove to be very useful for multi-tenant setups 🙂
      Just for the records, this is the original blog post from Microsoft where the scripts are posted :

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/developingfordynamicsgp/2012/09/25/using-the-named-system-database-feature-for-microsoft-dynamics-gp-2013/

Cecile,
      I’d read thru the blog post, because there are a few tips worth taking note.. As the blog post says, originally the ability to setup a different system DB instance name was meant for NEW SETUP only, not upgrades.

Also, there could be impact on SQL jobs and/or integration processes (eConnect). It’s strongly suggested you test this out on a TEST environment before applying this on a LIVE system.
      Good luck.

——————————
      Beat Bucher
      Business Analyst, Dynamics GP MVP
      Ultra-Electronics Forensic Technology Inc.
      Montreal QC/Canada
      +1-514-489-4267
      @GP_Beat http://dyngpbeat.wordpress.com/
      Montreal QC GPUG Chapter Leader
      GP2013R2 / MR2012 CU14
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Cecile Dinh

June 20, 2017 at 10:17 AM

I

??

• Tom Monfre

June 20, 2017 at 12:33 PM

Hi Cecile,

The screens you’re showing are GP Utilities and that’s not where the decision is made.  The setting for a custom system database name is on the sixth page of the installation wizard.  You would go to the MDGP2016_R2_DVD_ENUS or installation folder of the version you want and launch setup.exe.  On the first page click Microsoft Dynamics GP under the Install heading and install as required.  When you get to the sixth page, enter the system database name you want to use in the Enter Custom Name filed and proceed as normal.

——————————
      Tom Monfre
      Batteries Plus Bulbs, LLC
      Hartland WI
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Cecile Dinh replied 6 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Named DYNAMICS db’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!