Mass Modify Chart of Accounts – Activate

• Mass Modify Chart of Accounts – Activate

Posted by rew@eganco.com on December 29, 2016 at 3:56 pm
    • Rachel Welt

December 29, 2016 at 3:56 PM

I have used the Mass Modify Chart of Accounts window to inactivate a series of account numbers, however I now need to activate a large number of account numbers and I can’t seem to figure out a way to do that in this window. Am I missing something? If it lets you inactivate, shouldn’t it also let you activate? I really don’t want to activate 100’s of account numbers one-by-one.

Thanks!

——————————
      Rachel Welt
      Egan Company
      Brooklyn Park MN
      ——————————

• Diana Doane

December 29, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Mass Modify doesn’t allow activation of an account (as you’ve found).  I don’t think that feature has changed in the recent versions of GP – – not sure which version you are using.  There would be a SQL way to do this.  But making changes behind the scenes isn’t always best practice.  If you already have a list of accounts in Excel, a Macro can make this manual effort easier.  If not familiar with macros and GP, there are most likely articles in the innerwebs or let me know, I’m happy to get you started. 

Some additional help regarding macros can be found in this article written by guru Leslie Vail Speed up your Macros

Dynamicsconfessions remove preview
      Speed up your Macros
      Today I delivered a Webinar on Macros for GPUG. I loved doing it, but there are so many things to cover that an hour just doesn’t do it justice. I talked about adding the ShowAdvancedMacroMenu=TRUE switch to your Dex.ini file to reveal additional functionality that can make macros a lot more robust.
      View this on Dynamicsconfessions >

——————————
      Diana Doane
      Ascend Learning, LLC
      Leawood KS
      ————————————————————————-

• David Clayton

December 30, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Hi Rachel,

I agree with Diana.  I use GP Macros with the mail merge feature of Word to make mass changes to GP records.  This approach can be used, for example, to import customer email addresses into the internet information window.

You will need a spread sheet with the list of records to be modified.

The steps are as follows:

• Create a macro with the steps that need to be taken.  The macro will have the instructions for modifying a single record.
      • Use the mail merge feature in Word to edit the macro.  Use the Excel spread sheet as the source for the mail merge.  The mail merge will create instructions for all the records in the spread sheet.
      • Play the modified macro to update the records.

I used the following documents to learn how to do this.   As usual, test the process in a test environment before using it on a production database.  Make sure to backup your data before running the macro.  It will take a few tries to get the process right.  It works really well when you get it right.

http://www.isolutionspartners.com/importing-data-into-microsoft-dynamics-gp/

http://dynamicserpnow.com/import-macros-dynamics-gp/

——————————
      David Clayton
      DMC Consultants Limited
      Kingston, Jamaica
      http://www.dmcjm.com

• Bert Green

December 30, 2016 at 8:49 AM

Rachel,

If you have Integration Manager this can also be accomplished very easily or any of the other integration products that are out there.

——————————
      Bert Green
      GP Developer/GP Administrator
      Berger Transfer & Storage, Inc.
      Saint Paul MN
      GP2015/MR CU11

rew@eganco.com replied 7 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Mass Modify Chart of Accounts – Activate’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!