Making a required field on secondary(?) window

• Making a required field on secondary(?) window

Posted by Howard Blitstein on May 5, 2023 at 3:39 pm

Not sure what you really call it, but here is the scenario. I do know how to make a field required using Modifier, but what I did is not working as I would like. We’ve had purchase orders get through our ordering process without having an Inventory/Purchases account on the Purchasing Item Detail Entry page. We do not have default accounts setup. A user needs to hit the blue arrow to get to the page to enter the account. Easy. I just make that a required field which I did. But a user may enter a po without going to the Detail page and just saves the po as is. I was hoping that by making the Account field required, it would not allow the po to be saved. From what I was told, this was working in the past and setup by the previous GP admin. And to make things clear, if the user does go to the Detail Page, the required field functionality is working.

Thanks

• 2 Replies
  • Valerie-Sikora

May 5, 2023 at 4:29 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

Howard,

That is correct, Modifier will only enforce requirements when the window is opened. It will not force the user to open the window. If you want to do that, you will need to customize GP. I would recommend that you not use VBA to do that, as it does not work in various scenarios anymore. GP Power Tools by Winthrop (@DavidMusgraves) is a good choice for customizing GP without having to get the GP source code.

• Up
    Down
    ::

Hi Howard

As Valerie mentioned GP Power Tools can do this. We can make it required on the sub window, but also force it to be filled on the main window in the scrolling window. We could add the field to the scrolling window so we don’t need to open the sub window to enter it.

With GP Power Tools, almost anything is possible.

David

The discussion ‘Making a required field on secondary(?) window’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!