Interest Calculations

• Interest Calculations

Posted by DSC Communities on December 7, 2016 at 4:51 pm
    • Aimee Crowe

December 7, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Is there a way to get Scheduled Payments to only calculate interest and no principal.  We want to use GP to manage our GO Bonds and we need to make quarterly interest payments, but we don’t pay anything on the principal until the bond matures.  I found that Scheduled Payments can calculate the interest for me, but I can’t get it to ignore the principal and leave it alone.  Any ideas or other suggestions for how to manage something like this?

——————————
      Aimee Crowe
      Accounting Analyst
      Christian Homes, Inc.
      St. Louis MO
      ——————————

• Thaddeus Suter

December 12, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Aimee,

The only way to do it using Scheduled Payments is to separate the GO Bond into its IO and PO components when you post the Payables Transaction. Hyphenate the number w IO and PO so you know which is which when posted and post two transactions.

Now you can Schedule the IO component and let the PO ride. When you set up the IO, enter the quarterly Calculated Payment amount yourself and the Interest Rate at 0% or just enter the number of Payments with Interest at 0%. Let the Scheduled Payments  then calculate the number of payments or the quarterly amount whichever you did not enter. Your amortization schedule will now be correct to amortize the IO.

Note: Added 12/14/16. The accountants normally wash the DR and CR accounts when posting the IO component as not to create a liability. The PO posts normally setting up the liability.

——————————
      Thaddeus Suter
      Retus, Inc
      Helotes TX
      ————————————————————————-

DSC Communities replied 7 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Interest Calculations’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!