GP2018R2 Hybrid, What in the Name of Zeus’ Beard Do You Mean By THAT??!!??

• GP2018R2 Hybrid, What in the Name of Zeus’ Beard Do You Mean By THAT??!!??

Posted by Jo deRuiter on August 27, 2018 at 9:28 am
    • Jo deRuiter

August 27, 2018 at 9:28 AM

I have heard from a number of clients and users that they are confused over the term “Hybrid”.  And, why it the world would I be saying GP2018R2 Hybrid?

The term Hybrid, can, of course, be scary – like the Chimera virus from the Mission Impossible 2 movie… or a merging of scary and fictional beasts like the Lycan and Vampire from the Underworld movie!

Or, it can be beautiful like the combination of wonderful things, like hybrid flowers – that take two distinct but similar things and merge them into something wholly beautiful in it’s own right!

When, during their presentation at the GP Tech Conference, the Microsoft Presenters used the term “Hybrid”.  I think they were using it to describe the ability to use the CDS (Common Data Service) sync capabilities for GP data to the cloud and the ability to use AI to analyze that data.

While the synced data is extremely limited in GP2018R2, I think it’s important to note that they did mention they will continue to build on this idea.

But, is it a “Hybrid”, Really?

In my opinion, it is.  It is the ability to “sync” some GP data to the CDS and use some of the benefits of the technology around D365BC- making it a type of Hybrid. Additionally, the word “Hybrid” was used by Microsoft to describe this in their presentation as well.

Do I need to re-train my staff?

No, GP will look and feel the same to everyone in the organization.  The Intelligent Edge is on a tab you may never even have to look at.

Do I have to use the Intelligent Edge?

No, you have the choice of whether to set it up or not.

It’s just a little bit of my data syncing, why then, call it a hybrid?

Its just a little bit now, but this ability is being developed for future syncing of more information.

So, why am I so excited about this?

A number of Partners and Users are unsure of where GP is going.  I feel that this step by Microsoft of syncing data from an on-prem SQL install to the cloud really says a lot about how Microsoft recognizes the value of GP and how strong it is in the market as well as what an awesome product it is and will continue to be.  I find this a step in the direction of GP staying around, but being able to report and enjoy other benefits of being “in the cloud”.  It will be the ability to use the CDS and Machine Learning to help my clients make better decisions.  Frankly, I’m psyched about it!

I think that this is a wonderful step – on top of the OTHER awesome enhancements coming in GP2018R2 a list of which you can find HERE

Hybrids in our world are mostly beautiful!  

Read more on GP2018R2 Here:
      Jo’s Did You Know: “GP Tech Conference Was Chock Full of New Tech for GP”

Dynamics remove preview
      Jo’s Did You Know: “GP Tech Conference Was Chock Full of New Tech for GP”
      The GP Tech Conference Fargo, 2018 General Comments In general, the Tech Conference turned out to be a very valuable experience. We learned the enhancements coming out in the October 1, 2018 release…
      View this on Dynamics >

——————————
      Kindest Regards,

Jo deRuiter , MCP, DCP
      “That GP Red Head”
      Advanced Credentialed Professional-Dynamics GP
      GPUG Academy Instructor
      GPUG GP Credentialing Exam Committee
      Chairman, GPUG Partner Advisory Board
      Dexpro Dynamics LLC
      Senior Consultant
      Milwaukee, WI
      770-906-4504 (Cell)
      ——————————

• Rob Klaproth

August 28, 2018 at 1:17 AM

Jo, did anyone at Microsoft mention why they back peddled on the whole R2 thing?  They had previously mentioned they were going to stop doing the R2 releases and slow down the cadence a bit.  Maybe customer feedback caused them to re-think that!  I, for one, welcome frequent releases, especially because in today’s cloud world, people are expecting frequent refreshes to products. 🙂

——————————
      Rob Klaproth
      Dynamics Certified Professional
      (GP Install & Configure)
      Sr. GP Consultant
      Armanino, LLP
      San Diego, CA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Jo deRuiter

August 28, 2018 at 8:29 AM

Hey

They did not!  I was a bit surprised myself – AND, they moved UP the day of release!  It was initially set for a bit later this year, but this is rolling out on October 1, 2018.?

——————————
      Kindest Regards,

Jo deRuiter , MCP, DCP
      “That GP Red Head”
      Advanced Credentialed Professional-Dynamics GP
      GPUG Academy Instructor
      GPUG GP Credentialing Exam Committee
      Chairman, GPUG Partner Advisory Board
      Dexpro Dynamics LLC
      Senior Consultant
      Milwaukee, WI
      770-906-4504 (Cell)
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Blair Christensen

August 28, 2018 at 10:59 AM

?For those of us dependent on third-party products (which don’t work in the cloud) or who have on-premises environments with integrations, a frequent release schedule is an absolute nightmare.  Trying to prep for an upgrade in my environment takes 2-3 months of work.  The LAST thing I want is a repeat of the 2015/2016 semi-annual release schedule.  And that’s apart from the costs of re-training my users or system downtime.  No thank you.  Change for change’s sake is not valuable.

PS.  We use other Microsoft Cloud products (CRM, Office, Skype) and the upgrades have been anything but smooth sailing.  I’d much rather they slow down and focus on putting out solid products rather than having their customers do the beta testing.

——————————
      Blair Christensen
      Database Administrator
      Oppenheimer Companies, Inc.
      Boise ID
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Jo deRuiter replied 6 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘GP2018R2 Hybrid, What in the Name of Zeus’ Beard Do You Mean By THAT??!!??’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!