GP 18.6.1695 (2023) Sales Cards Customers Deletion

• GP 18.6.1695 (2023) Sales Cards Customers Deletion

Posted by Clay Tait on May 2, 2024 at 7:40 pm

Our little company has been Great Plains then Dynamcis since at least 1989, and have some very old customers in our system, I haven’t really cleaned up the system. There is really no need to keep customers in our system that we haven’t sold for over 10 or 12 years. Our original partner probably explained how to do this years ago (but I don’t remember), does someone have the steps/instructions on what we need to remove from history so that I can fully delete these old customers (and even Vendors in Purchasing)?

Thank You all for your assistance.

Kerry Hataley replied 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jo deRuiter

May 3, 2024 at 7:34 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hi @bctaittaitdistributors-ca

I would advise against removing vendors and customers. And I’m not sure a delete would work in the user interface even if we archived many of your old sales.

You can mark them as inactive, with a SQL script, and then we can set the vendor and customer lookups to ignore inactive master records.

Other than that, I can suggest a new GP company where you only move over the data from the last 10 years – including customers, vendors, inventory and GL accounts – this will clean GP up nicely and you’d still have all of the records in the legacy company.

The only other option, which I HIGHLY discourage, would be to run a delete statement in the vendor and customer tables removing those entities. The only problem with that is you will likely get an error message in GP if you try to view anything or report on anything that these master records existed on.

• Kerry Hataley

Organizer
    May 3, 2024 at 8:52 am
    Up
    Down Accepted answer
    ::

Hello Clay,

A couple of *** ADVICE NOTICES ***

1. I am assuming you have a Record Retention Policy and are following that. Thus there are no tax records or Management Reporting needed for these customers.
    2. You have data archived and management has signed off that these can be customers transactions can be removed from the accounting system.

To delete any Customer the following conditions must be true…

1. The Customer needs to have a zero balance
    2. The are no ORDERS for the customer
    3. ALL transactions are in history

Next, you need to remove all sub-ledger Receivable Transaction and Sales Transaction records.

I always run BOTH, just in case someone entered a sale in SOP or Receivables.

STEPS

1. Remove Historical Transactions (Receivable – Non SOP Sales)
    1. Sales >> Utilities >> Remove Transaction History
    1. Range = Select ONLY the Customer you want to DELETE
    2. Verify that ‘Transactions’ and ‘Distributions’ are selected (Bottom left corner)
  • Remove Sales History (SOP Sales)
    1. Sales >> Utilities >> Remove Sales History
    1. History Type = Transaction
    2. Range = Select ONLY the Customer you want to DELETE
    3. Remove both ‘Transaction’ and ‘Distribution’
  • DELETE Customer
  • That is it…

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!