eOne SmartPost Install – ODBC Connect: timeout exceeded

• eOne SmartPost Install – ODBC Connect: timeout exceeded

Posted by Cecile Dinh on June 30, 2020 at 2:38 pm
    • Cecile Dinh

June 30, 2020 at 2:38 PM

Hello –

I’m hoping to find some answers here.  Thanks in advance!!!

I’m upgrading GP2015 R2 to GP2018.2 using the same SQL Server (12.0.5659.1) and App Server.
      I uninstalled the old version of SmartPost and trying to install SmartPost (18.02.0004). During the install I get the error “ODBC Connect: timeout exceeded”. I login to SQL Server Management Studio using SmartPost account and it login successfully. I tried again to install and I get the same error.  So I decided to delete the SmartPost in SQL Logins and re-run the install. I still get the same error of ODBC Connect: timeout exceeded.

Any thoughts why it didn’t like the new version of SmartPost?

——————————
      Cecile Dinh
      GP Admin at ARC (Airlines Reporting Corp.)
      GPUG Chapter Leader – Washington, D. C.
      ——————————

• Aref Karam

June 30, 2020 at 3:54 PM

Cecile,

Are you using the SQL server alias in the ODBC connection or the server name?

——————————
      Aref Karam
      Data Consultant
      LTI Information Technology
      Ann Arbor MI
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Cecile Dinh

June 30, 2020 at 4:46 PM

Hi Aref,

Thanks for your reply.  I’m not using ODBC connection.  It happens during the install.

——————————
      Cecile Dinh
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Blair Christensen

July 1, 2020 at 10:09 AM

A timeout can be caused by a couple of things.  One is that the installer can’t find the database at the location/port you indicated.  Double check these and make sure that the server you are installing on can ping the GP server.

Second is to make sure you are running the installer as a domain admin or that the service install is being run with an account with admin rights on the SQL Server.  Most GP add-ons require admin permissions to install and function properly.  (If you don’t have admin rights and the server is locked down, it – properly – won’t even tell you that access has been denied due to insufficient privileges.  I recommend using a service or other dedicated account for things like this rather than a personal login.

——————————
      Blair Christensen
      Database Administrator
      Oppenheimer Companies, Inc.
      Boise Idaho GPUG Chapter Leader
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Cecile Dinh

July 1, 2020 at 1:43 PM

We finally got this issue resolved! We have TLS 1.0 and 1.1 disabled on our system.  So we turned it on just to install SmartPost and then we turned it off after the install.

——————————
      Cecile Dinh
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Cecile Dinh replied 3 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘eOne SmartPost Install – ODBC Connect: timeout exceeded’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!