AP Batches

• AP Batches

Posted by DSC Communities on January 24, 2017 at 12:25 pm
    • Judi Gilliland

January 24, 2017 at 12:25 PM

HI

Our company is new to GP.  Once a batch is posted in AP do the transactions flow directly to the GL or do we need to do another step?

Thanks

——————————
      Judi Gilliland
      Powell Christensen inc
      GRANDVIEW WA
      ——————————

• Frank Heslin

January 24, 2017 at 1:40 PM

Hi Judi,

It depends on how your Posting Setup was configured.  Here is a quick explanation for ‘Post To’ & ‘Post Through’ GL

Post To: will create a GL Batch that needs to manually posted in the Financial module.

Post Through: will create a GL Batch & post to the Financial module without the need for any further action.

These settings can be different for each Series, as well as, each Origin depending on your business rules/needs.

Check Series Post in the Financial module to see if there are any batches that need to be posted.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

OVwBcJZXTKCA6e3xI9u7_POSTING SETUP.png

——————————
      Frank Heslin
      Financial Systems Administrator
      ExamWorks, Inc.
      Atlanta GA

Member, GPUG Advisory Committee
      Chairman, Georgia Regional GPUG Chapter
      Summit 2016 Track Leader

GP2015 R2
      MR CU14

Follow me on Twitter: @Automate_It

GPUGGA – http://www.gpug.com/Atlanta

*** Help Us, Help You…provide enough info so that we don’t have to ask for more:) ***
      *** If you solve your issue please share the solution to assist others! ***
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Windi Epperson

January 25, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Judi,
      Just a quick word of caution.  In the Posting setup window, when you choose a Series, there is an Origin of All that defaults in with base values set.  If you change settings at the All level, they will roll down to all the other Origins – but the next time you pull up the All option, it will show with the default settings again.  So it’s recommended that you don’t change at the All level, but change at each specific Origin level to ensure you have each option doing what you need it to.
      Thanks
      Windi

——————————
      Windi Epperson
      President/GP Senior Consultant
      Advanced Integrators, Inc.
      Norman OK
      405-946-1774 Ext 102
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Amber Bell

January 25, 2017 at 1:45 PM

I wanted to add something to the discussion. If your users are posting without a batch (posting from the transaction screen without adding a Batch ID), the transaction will post in the Subledger (in this case AP) and will create an unposted batch in the GL. This is because basically, without a batch, the original transaction could not be reviewed (because you cannot print an Edit List without a batch).

Microsoft Dynamics GP is designed to “Protect” the GL. Skipping using a batch does not save time for your company…it just pushes the job to another person. I recommend using batches (even for 1 transaction) and disabling “Allow Transaction Posting” in the Admin > Setup > Posting > Posting window.

8mMRlFDUTFOG5M6nSXFV_GPUG - Posting Setup.JPG

I have 2 more recommendations:

1. Create Journal Entry per TRANSACTION. If you do “Per Batch”, you cannot use the Financial > Routines > Reconcile to GL Report or “The Closer” from Reporting Central. The details of the transactions will not be stored on the normal tables…and you can’t do an easy report to say “What accounts did this vendor use this month?”.

2. If Existing Batch CREATE NEW. This will create a separate batch in the GL for each Subledger batch. Makes reprinting of reports easier…and if for some reason it didn’t post through, you will have separate batches in the GL vs. one giant mega batch with transactions in multiple dates (or possibly periods).

See attached screenshot.

Let me know if you have any questions,

——————————
      Amber Bell
      Owner
      Training Dynamo LLC
      Derby CT
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Bert Green

January 25, 2017 at 1:54 PM

Amber,
      I have to disagree with your #1. We have the JE by batch and the Reconcile to GL works just fine. On the Account Maintenance card the level of posting from series is what controls if you can run by g/l to see what accounts a vendor was posted to for a period of time. If you post in Detail you would be able to run that report. If it was Summary then no you would not be able to.

How we are setup is all P&L accounts post in Detail and Balance Sheet accounts are a mixture of detail or summary.

——————————
      Bert Green
      GP Developer/GP Administrator
      Berger Transfer & Storage, Inc.
      Saint Paul MN
      GP2015/MR CU11
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Amber Bell

January 25, 2017 at 3:58 PM

Hello Bert,

You are right, you can have a combination of Summary and Detail posting based on Account Maintenance settings. I did not include this in the original answer…thank you for adding this option.

Be advised that Reporting Central recommends detail posting for their tool “The Closer” and I would recommend testing “Summary” posting to make sure that you can get the reports you need and that all tools for reconciling work correctly. I have seen people change to “Summary” and not understand the options on the Account Maintenance screen.

If anyone is interested in making this change, please test and discuss with your partner.

——————————
      Amber Bell
      Owner
      Training Dynamo LLC
      Derby CT
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Leslie Vail

January 26, 2017 at 2:43 AM

Ph65lJsQzOrjPmyc7QXu_account maintenance.pngSomething else about making the settings on the Account Maintenance card to work is that you need to check the box on your posting setup window. You need to select Create Journal Entry per Batch and then mark the checkbox next to Use Account Settings.

Kind regards,

Leslie

——————————
      Leslie Vail
      Accounting Systems Consulting, Inc.
      Dallas TX
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Members

DSC Communities replied 7 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘AP Batches’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!