WMS Enabled Items

• WMS Enabled Items

Posted by Rod Helmick on January 19, 2024 at 1:34 pm

I have an issue and not sure it’s even possible to do in D365. I have setup 2 warehouses with one being a WMS enable and the other is a logical warehouse that is not WMS enabled, and I’m not seeing the reason why I need the logical to be WMS enabled as it’s only used to track drop ships. I setup an item that is used in my WMS enabled warehouse so my storage dimension assigned to that item is SiteWHLoc. If I attempt to do anything (receipt, adjustment, etc) using that item into my non WMS logical warehouse, I get an error indicating I need to supply my location dimension for this. However, being a non WMS enabled warehouse, I cannot setup a location for this warehouse.

Am I missing something on a way to configure this so that it does not require the location in my logical warehouse or will I be forced to setup the logical warehouses to be WMS enabled?

Thanks in advance.

Todd Truitt replied 1 month, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Suf Hayes

January 19, 2024 at 2:59 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

You should be able to setup a non WMS enabled warehouse, but assign it a default location and then be able to process the same items through that warehouse. You can set this default location as the default receipt and issue location on the warehouse and everything should flow through this location. The location itself is pretty meaningless but it’s needed if you want to use the same items in both WMS enabled and non WMS enabled warehouses.

We use WMS enabled warehouses for most of our items, but have some offsite warehouses and a drop ship warehouse that are non WMS enabled and process through just fine, but with a default location.

You may need to create a default aisle etc to make that location, but that should just be one time setup.

• Rod Helmick

January 22, 2024 at 9:26 am
      Up
      Down

Good morning Suf and thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I cannot add a location to a non WMS enabled warehouse to do this. Unless I’m missing something. Let me know how you were able to assign a default location to your non WMS warehouse. Thanks.

• Drew Lencsak

February 2, 2024 at 12:27 pm
    Up
    Down

Hi, non-WMS warehouses still use locations. However, the form to set up the locations is in a different menu path. They are not configured/created in the Warehouse management module. You set up aisles and locations for nonWMS warehouse in the Inventory management module > Setup > Inventory Breakdown > Inventory aisles and Inventory Locations.

If you configure an aisle against your nonWMS warehouse, you should then be able to go into Inventory locations and create a location for it as well. After that, it can be assigned as a Default receipt and/or issue location on the Warehouse form.

• Todd Truitt

March 1, 2024 at 3:08 pm
    Up
    Down

Rod,

I advise clients to error on the side of enablement. Its much easier these days with grouping functions on the business logic side to reuse configurations than it is to later want/need to enable the warehouses & items. Happy to chat more on this topic!

Thanks,

Todd

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!