Testing web service with SoapUI and Windows authentication

• Testing web service with SoapUI and Windows authentication

Posted by DSC Communities on January 3, 2017 at 10:12 am
    • Archive User

January 3, 2017 at 10:12 AM

I’ve spent days searching for a solution to get a simple HTTP webservice, salesorder.read, working off of a JAVA client with no avail. We’re trying to achieve communication first via NTLM as this was suggested in many forums, but I’m open to other suggestions. My testing criteria is to get it working on VS first, then SOAP UI and finally java. I’ve been successful at testing with VS, however I haven’t had any luck with SOAP UI.

Configuration:

-AX 2012 R3

– Changed HTTP configuration binding from Windows to NTLM (as suggested in many posts)

– IIS

– Authentication set to Windows and Basic Authentication

– Windows authentication providers; NTLM set as primary

– SOAP UI

– Basic configuration w/ Authentication set to NTLM

– Verified lmcompatibilitylevel set to 1 on server

The response has ever been “An error occurred.” or “401 – Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials. You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.”

• Tue Dec 20 11:06:41 EST 2016:DEBUG:Stale connection check
      • Tue Dec 20 11:06:41 EST 2016:DEBUG:Attempt 1 to execute request
      • Tue Dec 20 11:06:41 EST 2016:DEBUG:Sending request: POST /MicrosoftDynamicsAXAif60/WebSalesOrderRead/xppservice.svc HTTP/1.1
      • Tue Dec 20 11:06:41 EST 2016:DEBUG:Receiving response: HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
      • Tue Dec 20 11:06:41 EST 2016:DEBUG:Connection can be kept alive indefinitely
      • Tue Dec 20 11:06:41 EST 2016:DEBUG:Target requested authentication
      • Tue Dec 20 11:06:41 EST 2016:DEBUG:Authorization challenge processed
      • Tue Dec 20 11:06:41 EST 2016:DEBUG:Authentication scope: NTLM @<website>:80
      • Tue Dec 20 11:06:41 EST 2016:INFO:<website>:80 requires Windows authentication
      • Tue Dec 20 11:06:41 EST 2016:DEBUG:Found credentials
      • Tue Dec 20 11:06:41 EST 2016:DEBUG:Attempt 2 to execute request 

Event viewer on the server shows a similar error, “Object Server 01:  An error has occurred in the services framework.  Method: AifMessageInspector::AfterReceiveRequest.  Error: System.Security.SecurityException: The user name or password is incorrect.”

My first question would be what should be the correct user/pass, is it in terms of IIS or AX? We’ve tried multiple of combinations of course, but perplexed at this issue and led to believe it’s something more. 

Please, any insight would be appreciated.

——————————
      Rasim Hafiz
      L.V. Lomas
      Brampton ON
      ——————————

• Madhu Ramakrishnan

January 4, 2017 at 11:04 AM

We used Chrome for Firefox (add-on SOAP client) for testing in the past. We turned off Windows authentication. Enabled anonymous access in IIS. You could also use Windows SOAP UI client WcfTestClient.exe.

I think it should work with Windows authentication as well.

——————————
      Madhu Ramakrishnan
      Arbela Technologies
      Irvine CA
      ————————————————————————-

• Ryan Barnes

January 4, 2017 at 9:36 AM

SoapUI does not support the proper authentication, had this battle a few months ago as well.  For testing purposes you need a proxy, I found Burp Suite Free Edition v1.6 worked and set up a proxy on 127.0.0.1 on port 8081, then under options added my authentication credentials in under platform authentication and then everything worked from there.

——————————
      Ryan Barnes
      Superheat FGH
      Kincardine ON
      ————————————————————————-

DSC Communities replied 7 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Testing web service with SoapUI and Windows authentication’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!