Security access to “Receive Now” field on Purchase Order line

• Security access to “Receive Now” field on Purchase Order line

Posted by Zvika Rimalt on June 12, 2020 at 6:50 pm
    • Zvika Rimalt

June 12, 2020 at 6:50 PM

Hi There,

We are in the process of implementing D365FO,

Our receiving clerks are supposed to receive purchase orders, but not modify them.

We want to give them the ability to enter a “receive now”, while not giving them access to modify the purchase order itself.

Is there an out of the box security role that does that?

Is there an existing security privilege that only gives modify access to the “Receive Now” field alone (and not to unit price, quantity and other fields on the purchase order line)?

——————————
      Zvika Rimalt
      Functional Consultant
      Vancouver BC
      ——————————

• Nanditha Kini Mukerjee

June 15, 2020 at 2:39 AM

Hi Zvika,

As far as I’ve seen, you will have to tweak the privileges to achieve this from the “Maintain product receipt” duty.

Best Regards,
      Nanditha

——————————
      Nanditha Kini Mukerjee
      Senior Manager- Presales
      Synoptek
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Duane Jenkin

June 17, 2020 at 3:04 PM

Greetings

I agree with the previous replies that you would need to customize access on the table/entity to achieve this, very similar in process to how this is done in AX2009. If you are not comfortable doing this then there is an alternative option you could consider. If you are using purchasing workflow then editing an order would reset the status and require it to be resubmitted for approval. With the re-approval rules you can exclude warehouse specific fields such as the WMSLocation if you need to.
      If you have a team that mostly does the right thing but may be tempted to make the odd change this should work.

Personally I found the default security groups to be very misaligned with how the business operates and splits task between Finance and Operations teams but where as in 2009 the permissions were additive, meaning the user would inherit the maximum available permission from any group –  in D365 you can create a new group and set the specific permissions on tables or fields to NO without having to worry about this being overridden by a user being in multiple groups.

We went live t Christmas and the permission are okay but long term the goal is to create specific groups by our internal roles and tasks and training processes rather than use any of the standard groups.

Good luck,
      Duane

——————————
      Duane Jenkin
      Business Analyst
      Tourism Holdings Limited
      Hamilton, New Zealand
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Alex Meyer

June 15, 2020 at 11:47 AM

Zvika,

I have done a webinar for AXUG around setting up least privilege security, in your case I think one of the user scenarios I go through in the session would be very helpful (allowing a user to modify a sales order line without allowing them access to the sales order header):
      https://www.axug.com/viewdocument/axd365fo-security-series-iii-sett?CommunityKey=82b0ede9-11c2-43ba-8c73-de1b44f1aa09&tab=librarydocuments

If you can provide either a task recording of you performing the ‘Receive Now’ functionality or show where this process is on the Purchase Orders page I can give you a more detailed analysis of what permissions actually need to be assigned.

——————————
      Alex Meyer
      Director of Dynamics AX/365 for Finance & Operations Development
      Fastpath
      Des Moines, IA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Lynn Litzau

June 18, 2020 at 6:10 PM

Hello Zvika,

May I recommend a slightly different approach to your dilemma. There is a long lost lonely journal that was designed specifically for receiving staff that I feel companies often forget about.  It is called the Item Arrival journal.  This journal allows the user to register a specific quantity and then perform the product receipt for the registered quantity all from the inventory module.  The user never has to enter the PO screen and risk adjusting a price, quantity, or other setting on the purchase order.  I have a demonstration to show you the effectiveness of this journal.  This keeps good internal controls and keeps your receiving staff out of purchase orders and living within the inventory module.  I have attached the training instruction for this journal.  I hope this helps.  

Best regards!

——————————
      Lynn Litzau
      Dynamics Consultant
      Stoneridge Software
      Barnesville MN
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Colby Gallagher

June 19, 2020 at 8:23 AM

I’m with , the Arrival Overview is the way to go for this out of the box. ?

——————————
      Colby Gallagher
      Managed Application Services Supervisor
      RSM
      OH
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Zvika Rimalt replied 3 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Security access to “Receive Now” field on Purchase Order line’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!