Same Expense Category/Multiple Main Accounts

• Same Expense Category/Multiple Main Accounts

Posted by Raheel Rao on January 28, 2020 at 5:24 pm
    • Raheel Rao

January 28, 2020 at 5:24 PM

Hi All,

I have a scenario where I’m trying to setup expense categories in D365 Finance where there will be two different main accounts for each category depending on two main areas of the business.

Example

Fuel – Area1 – MainAccount 1111

Fuel – Area2 – MainAccount 1112

Meal – Area1 – MainAccount 1122

Meal – Area2 – MainAccount 1123

We already have financial dimensions in use which I’m suggesting however finance in addition to that requires to actually post in separate accounts. Creating two categories for same type of expense will be confusing for end users and will increase chances of errors where they’ll select incorrect category from the area of business which they do not belong to.

Has anyone else run into such a scenario? If yes, how did you solve it?

Any other suggestions with I can keep it simple for the user where all users will see the same list of categories and we somehow based on financial dimension post them to their respective accounts.

I’m keeping the customization option last and trying to see if we can solve this functionally first.

Let me know please.

Thanks

Raheel

——————————
      Raheel Rao
      Hickory Farms
      Chicago, IL
      ——————————

• André Arnaud de Calavon

January 29, 2020 at 2:01 AM

Hi Raheel,

Can you explain how the Area1 and Area2 are used? Are these dimension values or where are they specified? It seems like the Area is the differentiator, but you did not explain anything related to this attribute.

——————————
      kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon
      Product manager, Microsoft MVP – Microsoft Dynamics Business Solutions
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Raheel Rao

January 29, 2020 at 10:15 AM

Hi Andre, I should have been more clearer. We are  using finDims for distinguishing both areas from each other and also have separate accounts for each categories. 

After posting this, I started looking into if we can use allocation rule for this purpose and seems like that is something which will help. So lets say, I’ll for now post everything for Fuel expense to MainAccount 1111 for Area1 and then create an allocation rule that picks up any posting done to MainAccount 1111 but for Area2 to create an allocation journal offsetting both accounts to move transactions to MainAccount 1112. Does that makes sense?

Regards,

Raheel

——————————
      Raheel Rao
      Enterprise Architect
      Hickory Farms
      IL
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• André Arnaud de Calavon

January 30, 2020 at 11:59 AM

Hi Raheel,

Yes, you can indeed try to use allocations, but you can also look from the source. Where is the financial dimension maintained? Is the user selecting this one? Is it related to e.g. a setting on a project or worker? Can you describe how the data flows?

——————————
      kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Raheel Rao

January 30, 2020 at 1:52 PM

FinDims will come from the user’s financial dimensions. So when entering expense/creating expense reports those dimensions will already be present when posting those vouchers. Based on the rules created with source and those particular finDims, we’ll move them to correct main accounts for those finDims.
      I did a test and seems like a workaround we can use for now.

Thanks for your feedback, Andre!

Sent from my iPhone

——Original Message——

Hi Raheel,

Yes, you can indeed try to use allocations, but you can also look from the source. Where is the financial dimension maintained? Is the user selecting this one? Is it related to e.g. a setting on a project or worker? Can you describe how the data flows?

——————————
      kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon
      ——————————

• Christopher Ho Yee

January 30, 2020 at 12:34 PM

Although a bit more setup, I think another approach would be to use projects.

More specifically, you could create cost projects and project groups that represent the different areas. The posting profiles would be setup to direct the expense selected to the corresponding Ledger accounts using the project groups.

The projects themselves could also default the area (and any other related) Financial dimensions.

You will get the transactions directly to the ledger account you desire. You will be able to refer to the original transaction if needed directly.

——————————
      Christopher Ho Yee
      Altius Consulting
      Richmond BC
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Raheel Rao replied 4 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Same Expense Category/Multiple Main Accounts’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!