Purchase order and projects

• Purchase order and projects

Posted by Renel Morin on November 8, 2019 at 10:48 am
    • Renel Morin

November 8, 2019 at 10:48 AM

When issuing a purchase requisition, than generating a PO (from that purc. req.) is there a way to split the po line that is populated in the vendor invoice to different projects when the vendor invoice is entered!  Since it comes from a PO and the projects where not present, all is grayed out in the project tab.

This needs to be done since we do not know how much time and on exactly which projects the consultants will work on at the time of issuing the PO. It’s often a yearly PO with monthly invoicing from the vendor.

When we receive the monthly invoice we consume all or partially the PO line on the invoice and the GL code on the product number from the PO is = to a clearing account, then we do an hours journal in the projects module to make the project allocations and to credit the clearing account.

Is there an easier way (less time consuming as well) and we have the same issue with Internet bills where we want to allocate to projects at invoice time, but cannot since project codes are not on the original PO. And the projects hours journal would not work for this.

Any advise would be much appreciated!
      Sincerely!

——————————
      Renel Morin

——————————

• Christopher Ho Yee

November 8, 2019 at 3:51 PM

Hi Renel,

Can’t say that I am the definitive expert, but I don’t believe there is an easy process for this as the vendor invoice requires the originating PO lines to already have the correct Projects being charged in place. There isn’t the ability to change the Project ID when invoicing. I imagine your process would not support that anyways as you don’t know which projects would be charged a year in advance.

I think one option could be to put a generic Project ID on the requisition. When the PO is created, it will have the Project ID tab available. You could then modify the PO and create separate lines the projects as they come up and then reduce or put a negative line against the generic project for the allocated amounts allocated. This will help maintain the overall value of the PO. Obviously, a lot of work and there may be obstacles if reality doesn’t fit the happy path. Also, if you are in an organization with sensitivities around purchasing controls, this may be too much.

Having said that, what is the requirement to have the Project ID on the invoice? Is it so that you can see on a vendor basis which Projects have been charged? Are you trying to reconcile the clearing account?

——————————
      Christopher Ho Yee
      Altius Consulting
      Richmond BC
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Doris Manning

November 11, 2019 at 8:38 AM

We have a similar issue with Union Labor vendor invoices.  We create a single project at the beginning of the year for the Requisition/Purchase Order.  We set the quantity to 1 million and the cost per hour to $1. 

The vendor invoice comes in broken down into the individual projects.  We use Excel and Atlas 6.6 to upload the contents of the vendor invoice into an Hours Journal,  offset the Main Account hit by the PO receipt, and split the cost out to the projects.

——————————
      Doris Manning
      Hargrove, Inc.
      Lanham MD
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Renel Morin

November 11, 2019 at 11:36 AM

Hello everyone!

I had a PC change last week and was lost without it! for a couple of days.  I could therefore not respond as early as I would have liked 🙂
      Thanks a 1000 000 for all your responses.  It enabled me to validate that there was no OFTB feature to perform a projects allocation on invoice (when its associated to a PO).  I will as some mention try to create an automatic import to the hours journal (since we have most of the info in a time sheet application for our consultants, not AX timesheets hihi!) to get the projects costs allocated properly and offset the accouts used when posting the invoice against the PO’s. 

Thanks again!!
      PS we also have this with the internet charges… I still use an hours journal with a worker = Generic were we put 1 hour and the full amount to distribute in the cost price colum.  I have found no easier way to do this as we use non inventory products (service product not held in inventory) so the items journal would not work. I assume I could also do a journal entry, but its easier in our segregation of duy to have the AP clerk do it all.  Have a great week everyone!!

Renel

——————————
      Renel Morin
      Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
      Montréal QC
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Renel Morin replied 4 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Purchase order and projects’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!