Project Accounting and Financial Dimensions

• Project Accounting and Financial Dimensions

Posted by Mark Zerr on July 14, 2023 at 11:07 am

We are looking at implementing project accounting and I’m curious if those out there who are doing project accounting in D365 decided to create a financial dimension for projects as well. What were the pros and cons? I’m still getting my head around project accounting and reviewing the Learn material. I certainly would prefer not to create more overhead as it were it’s not really adding value to reporting or analytic tracking and is overkill.

Deb Salyer replied 9 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Aaron Back

July 17, 2023 at 11:29 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

@CrystalAhrens or @kellygustafson do you have insights to help Mark?

• Kelly Gustafson

July 17, 2023 at 11:33 am
    Up
    Down

Hi @mark-zerrdroneup-com I have seen people use entity backed financial dimensions for this type of data, meaning that it auto-populates the Project ID on transactions where the project is tied to the transaction. This helps in reporting at the Project level.

• Crystal Ahrens

Organizer
    July 18, 2023 at 6:55 pm
    Up
    Down

I agree with kelly never have seen it done

• Deb Salyer

July 20, 2023 at 11:55 am
    Up
    Down

I have been doing PMA for almost 18 years. I usually do not recommend using project as a dimension. The reason is that your list of projects will grow very large over the years and the reporting now in 365 for projects is extensive. Default dimensions in GL now allow you to get a lot more details from the ledger side and the setting to post projects in detail to the GL is also available.

The discussion ‘Project Accounting and Financial Dimensions’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!