No menu path in D365 v10

• No menu path in D365 v10

Posted by Zvika Rimalt on July 3, 2019 at 3:42 pm
    • Zvika Rimalt

July 3, 2019 at 3:42 PM

Hi All,

For reasons beyond my comprehension, Microsoft seems to have introduced an “improvement” to the D365 v10 user interface where the menu path of the current form that used to show up at the top of the screen,  is no longer visible

So there it is no longer possible to quickly tell “where” a user is, when providing support / sharing screenshots etc.

Is that behavior configurable somehow? do I have an option to reverse to the “old” (clearly technologically backward) design?

——————————
      Zvika Rimalt
      Functional Consultant
      Vancouver BC
      ——————————

• Ben Morgan

July 3, 2019 at 6:55 PM

Hi Zvika,

To re-enable the navigation, go to System Administration > Setup > Client performance options and check the Enable legacy navigation bar box: 

Microsoft claims this option will disappear completely in the future (I think in PU28), but hopefully that will change.

——————————
      Ben Morgan
      M3 Engineering & Technology Corp
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Leonardus Smits

July 4, 2019 at 2:00 AM

@Ben Morgan,
      Can you say what is the source for your information?
      Can we use the Idea-portal also to “ask” for functionality to remain?

@All who want this function to remain, I suggest to like the post of Zvika. I already did.

#D365FO #users_unite (both not available…)

——————————
      Leonardus Smits
      SIGVARIS
      Winterthur
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Neill Riordan

July 4, 2019 at 4:30 AM

Personal thinking on this is that the breadcrumbs are primarily being used by consultants and we should be pushing end users to be using workspaces more than they are. Hence MS has made the decision to unify the design and move to a consistent approach across the product set and make the search option provide the bread crumb and the link so you could find it the old way if you needed to.  Remember the breadcrumb was not clickable so really it was only a sign post which is still available from the search option.

This links in with the modern workplace theme and powerapps being able to be embedded on workspaces and forms.  The D365 family and the ways of working in future could quite realistically see fewer people in F&O day to day and more in MS teams interacting to activities via CDS

Image from 10.0.x

——————————
      Neill Riordan
      Dynamics 365 Solution Architect
      IBM

——————————
      ——————————————-

• Zvika Rimalt

July 4, 2019 at 1:57 PM

I agree with you Neil that this is yet another “inspirational” move by Microsoft, as they constantly promote one move or another..

Alas, I have seen those inspirational “themes”  come and go over the years, and yet my “backward” accounting users just want to continue to record boring old journals, and know what form they are on in the application, and not much more..

I am actually curious to hear if people here are seeing a lot of adoption of work spaces.

Personally I have not seen so far any user using them consistently, and users keep going back to their “favorite” list of 6 forms where they spend 95% of their time on.

——————————
      Zvika Rimalt
      Functional Consultant
      Vancouver BC
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Ben Morgan

July 5, 2019 at 10:39 AM

Hi Zvika,

As you probably saw already, this is a global setting.  To answer your other question, my experience is similar to yours and others on this thread in that the users here don’t make much use of the workspaces — and certainly not exclusively.  The workspaces are just like any other canned item in that they are designed by external parties with no knowledge of our workflow or operations, which makes their utility limited.  Therefore, our users also tend to bookmark their most used forms and fit those into their workflow as they see fit.

——————————
      Ben Morgan
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Leonardus Smits

July 5, 2019 at 10:46 AM

Thanks for the insights. I understand the ambition to push the workspaces (has a vague ring of SAP and Fiori to it… look how hard that has been).
      Related but a bit of a different topic, if I may. Do you all have these workspaces actively in use? I’m especially interested in the one called CFO Overview. Do you have the right numbers showing up in all the tabs? No issues there?

——————————
      Leonardus Smits
      SIGVARIS
      Winterthur
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Ben Morgan

July 5, 2019 at 11:17 AM

We’re not using the CFO overview – in fact when I tried to open it, I got a bunch of errors which I’m now following up with Microsoft on.

——————————
      Ben Morgan
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Tony Zeigler

July 5, 2019 at 4:16 PM

?I hear ya Zvika 🙂
      I think Workspaces just exist to sell the product.
      Ie., Management likes to see pretty pictures with everything they think their users’ need in one place – ie., workspaces.
      Meanwhile, end users who are actually tasked with painfully tedious tasks are just interested in finding the most efficient way to get stuff done. – Ie., a personal selection of forms opened via a favorites tab…

Hopefully Microsoft can realize they need both 😉

——————————
      Tony Zeigler
      Senior Consultant
      Strategic Solutions NW, LLC
      Beaverton OR
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Neill Riordan

July 14, 2019 at 5:03 PM

Just building on my earlier comments you can see by the latest preview feature in Word the search bar now is the same as F&O

In response to the workspace question around if they are used it depends if you are driving business lead activities not system led activities for the past 8 months we have not implemented F&O on its own or responded to any RFP just using the product.  Everything has included teams, flow, powerApps, logicApps and CE.  This means that we must move away from a person doing the same thing every day and instead we use workspaces to drive workload and the correct steps in process. So when they do enter F&O either to review or enter data not already enabled through excel or automation they can see exactly what they are doing.  The key around all this technology is to basically make the teams be in F&O as little as possible.  Provide the ability to review and confirm utilize the other technology to import and export data. In the next 6 months as duel write is properly released and the business event framework grows we should see a big change to the way the product is used and how we should be implementing in alignment to the modern workplace theme across the products 

——————————
      Neill Riordan
      Dynamics 365 Solution Architect
      IBM
      Watford
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Zvika Rimalt

July 16, 2019 at 2:07 AM

It would be quite interesting to re-visit this topic in 6 months and observe then to what extent the accounting workplace will get transformed.
      I will set a calendar reminder 🙂

——————————
      Zvika Rimalt
      Functional Consultant
      Vancouver BC
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Mohammed Amer Siddiqui

July 7, 2019 at 5:51 AM

workspaces are interesting but hardly used. The reason being lack of information on their benefit, options to configure and clarity from Microsoft. I am expecting more user centric information (videos, etc) from Microsoft on this.

——————————
      Amer MS
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Ben Morgan

July 5, 2019 at 10:26 AM

Hi Leonardus,

My source is Microsoft’s PU24 update description: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/unified-operations/fin-and-ops/get-started/whats-new-platform-update-24#updated-navigation-bar-that-aligns-with-the-office-header – specifically, this statement: 

However, I see down below in the thread some indication this has been delayed until April 2020.

——————————
      Ben Morgan
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Zvika Rimalt

July 4, 2019 at 1:47 PM

Thanks Ben! that’s very useful, I completely miss the existence of this parameters form.

Just to be sure before I change that in production – this setting – does it impact just MY account, or is that a global setting for ALL users?

Is this is user specific, is there a way to mass-change it for users?
      Is there a way to make this the default for new users created?

——————————
      Zvika Rimalt
      Functional Consultant
      Vancouver BC
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• André Arnaud de Calavon

July 5, 2019 at 12:37 AM

Microsoft intended to remove the legacy navigation bar in PU28. The most recent status is that they have postponed the deprecation.

——————————
      kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon
      Solution Architect, Microsoft MVP – Microsoft Dynamics Business Solutions
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Kaare Boraas

July 5, 2019 at 10:12 AM

Zvika.  It is a global setting per environment.  Here is the announcement.  It is going away Apr 2020.

——————————
      Kaare Boraas
      Relationship Manager
      PCL Constructors Inc.
      AB
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Mark Schurmann

July 5, 2019 at 9:32 AM

I believe this is a digital native vs menu driven old man thing.  Me being in the later group, I am finding that many applications (DevOps, Teams, etc.) lack organization, but it is likely that I simply can’t shift my brain to the new paradigm.  Nevertheless, I am not seeing much interest in Workspaces from my users who are on average 20 years my junior.  Perhaps the next generation will show us the way.

——————————
      Mark Schurmann
      Accounting Systems Manager
      Automobile Protection Corp
      Norcross GA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Zvika Rimalt

July 16, 2019 at 2:09 AM

Thanks everyone for your help!

Some of my users were incredibly happy to get back their menu path, even if just for now…I was their hero for one day

Some of my users did not really care one way or another…

——————————
      Zvika Rimalt
      Functional Consultant
      Vancouver BC
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Paul Martin

July 17, 2019 at 8:00 AM

based on the what’s new and deprecated document, they did extend the legacy navigation until 2020 but say it will go away then. Workspaces are interesting as they can do quite a bit, but no one in the community is really raving about them and this might be a great topic for Summit. The intent was to take away all the heavy navigation task and put what a role needs in one place and start everyone with that function in workspaces so that it becomes more graphical with the use of tiles, etc. If you look at the roadmap for Microsoft with the be all AI, world on a screen concept that we keep getting shown at the big presentations where you can do you entire day from one screen with getting an email for an order and approving it , etc. all from you workspace. then it fits, but as of yet I have not seen a real champion for workspaces surface. As always you can submit your ideas and suggestions to https://experience.dynamics.com/ideas/ and if there is enough voice out there for it, Microsoft does listen.

——————————
      Paul Martin
      Production Program Manager
      Elite Comfort Solutions, LLC
      Rutherfordton NC
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Zvika Rimalt replied 4 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘No menu path in D365 v10’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!