Modern Advanced Find – yay or nay?

• Modern Advanced Find – yay or nay?

Posted by Ekere Ekere on October 20, 2022 at 5:23 pm

Modern Advanced Find – yay or nay?
    Julia Streatfield
    Julia StreatfieldOct 20, 2022 05:06 AM
    Hi everyone The modern advanced find was automatically turned on briefly earlier this week but luckily …

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Julia Streatfield
    Posted Oct 20, 2022 05:06 AM
    Hi everyone

The modern advanced find was automatically turned on briefly earlier this week but luckily we worked out how to turn it off before anyone noticed. You’ll guess from that sentence what our view is but what about the wider CRM world? If I knew how to set up a poll I’d do so as in our view, this is going to be one the most troublesome changes we’ve yet had to manage. People struggle enough with advanced finds and this new version is not going to help.

Anyhow, minor rant over – what do you think about it?

Cheers
    Jules

——————————
    Julia Streatfield
    CRM Business Intelligence Manager
    CBI
    London
    ——————————

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Donal McCarthy
    Posted Oct 21, 2022 02:45 AM
    I think it’s fabulous!
    The main reason I like modern AF, is that classic AF leads to a proliferation of personal views, most of which were created for one-off scenarios. This is a mess as most users can never remember how to share views.
    Putting the columns and filters within easy access, and making those changes temporary or savable, is a major improvement, IMO.
    Yes, users have a fit whenever the UI changes, but Dynamics is a SasS product that you are paying big money for – if it didn’t keep improving, we should be asking serious questions.
    Make a nice movie about it!

——————————
    Donal McCarthy
    BrightWork 365 Solution Architect
    BrightWork
    Galway
    ——————————

GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
    Sophie Marsh
    Posted Oct 24, 2022 04:51 AM
    Hi guys,
    What I’ve discovered so far, the funnel icon has been removed from the main ribbon (why????) Yes, users can select Edit Filters but you have to TELL them it’s changed – thought I’d covered this one with a quick alert out to my CRM user group on Teams. What I’m now finding is those that missed the alert are coming through in when they come to do a specific task with “can’t find the funnel, help”. I’ve added Searching for Data with Advanced Find generic SOPs (standard operating procedures) to my user group also to help.

The other personal observations are it’s not as clear how to save a new Advanced Find/criteria – please let me know if anyone has discovered this, at the moment I’ve come up with click on the drop-down arrow to the right of the list view and scroll right down the very, very, very bottom of the list view and select Save As.

I also still can’t work out how an individual user can share this view with other users (some of my super users do build advanced finds and save/share them) so it’s back to the CRM team to provide system views (fine with that) but what also concerns me as an end user is the new FetchXML option – I’d prefer to leave that in System Admin land.

44cc12b279e04ec196c639c9276e76fb@thread.skype“,”mentionType”:”team”}” class=”at-mentions-focus person-card-hover” role=”link” aria-haspopup=”true” aria-label=”Opens Profile Card for CRM User Group” tabindex=”0″>CRM User Group – Happy Monday all, to re-cap on Friday’s message…………..
    The funnel icon in the purple ribbon has been removed as part of the latest release wave, instead click on Edit Filters just below the ribbon and follow the step by step instructions in the SOPs
    CRM team

——————————
    Sophie Marsh
    Campden BRI
    Chipping Campden
    ——————————

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Matthew Vizor
    Posted Oct 25, 2022 04:12 AM
    Morning Sophie

You are right, there does seem to be a bit of a steep learning curve with this, we are just in the process of deciding how/when to roll this out to users.

In terms of sharing views, it’s fairly straight forward, just not necessarily intuitive. At the bottom of the View selector, is a selection ‘Manage and Share Views’:
    Selecting that, then brings up a full list of views a user has access to, if they click the ellipsis next to the view they want to share, they will get this menu, the choices differ based on rights etc:

Clicking ‘Share’ then allows them to specify users/teams they wish to share with and specify the rights:

Where it is really unclear is that whilst you can add multiple users/teams to appear in the list under the ‘Manage Share Access’ you can only select one user/team to provide permissions, when you click ‘Share’ it then provides the same access to all users chosen, and those permissions don’t show until you exit and then re-enter the ‘Share’ function. This also means that if you want different people to have different permissions, you have to go through the share process multiple times.

Hope that helps

Matt

——————————
    Matthew Vizor
    Shelter
    London
    ——————————

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Adam Travers
    Posted Oct 21, 2022 05:33 AM
    I agree with Donal and we have had postive feedback from our users too.

——————————
    Regards, Adam Travers
    Empath Services Ltd
    Southampton
    ——————————

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Libby George
    Posted Oct 21, 2022 10:39 AM
    We don’t have many users that use Advanced Find (our admin/operations team typically creates views for them). What we’re struggling with is that we turned off the “Add Columns” button because we have fields on the form that we lock conditionally, and we don’t want people adding those columns to editable grids and being able to change those ‘locked’ fields. In order for the Modern AF to be useful, we need to expose the “Add Columns” button. We’re working on adding FLS, but when we have conditional locks (if the Account is synced with our ERP, lock X, Y, Z fields), FLS won’t solve the issue. Anyone have suggestions on how to handle conditional locking and showing those columns in editable grids?

——————————
    Libby George
    Sr. CRM Sales Analyst
    Milwaukee Tool
    Brookfield WI
    ——————————

Cynthia Lagueux
    Posted Oct 21, 2022 10:59 AM
    I have to say NAY for now. We too were surprised, and fortunately caught it ourselves before a user reported it. I don’t remember anything saying that it was going to be updated in this release, and I read the weekly notes. Also know that Merges were updated as part of the AF update.
    I agree that it has benefits, but there’s a huge gap in that you cannot select from the full list of entities. I’d be happy for someone to explain to me how to do that if I’m wrong, but we haven’t found anything.
    I don’t find it as intuitive as the legacy version, especially how to save the changes as a new view since you’re not doing it where you edit the filters.
    When you are selecting filters, and use a related entity, there’s a empty row added automatically under the related entity, this has to be deleted if you’re not using it. Annoying.
    It’s been very difficult to find detailed documentation on it from MIcrosoft. It’s probably one of the most popular features of Dynamics, you’d think they’d be trumpeting these “improvements”.
    As with most things these days, it seems Microsoft has put this out there before it’s completed. We’ll be holding back at least until all entities can be queried.
    I think once it’s actually complete it will be fine.

——————————
    Cynthia Lagueux
    Special Olympics Canada
    ON
    ——————————

Darcy Smith
    Posted Oct 21, 2022 11:58 AM
    I also think it’s fabulous! While there is a learning curve, the ease in editing columns (drag and drop, searching for a column), being able to search for a view when you click the drop-down for views, being able to hide a view (which hides it for the current user, giving the user control over what they see in the list), and allowing the user to choose if the views are alphabetical or separated by personal and system – these enhancements are worth it.

Regarding the entities – the entities are now subject so the model-driven app, so if included in the model-driven app, they will show up; if not included, they will not show up. This gives the sys admin control to limit the long list of entities in Dynamics to only those that the user actually needs.

We had some issues with it when it was first introduced in Wave 1, but worked with Microsoft to resolve.

——————————
    Darcy Smith
    ICF
    ——————————

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Jeff Henry
    Posted Oct 24, 2022 09:07 AM
    Edited by Jeff Henry Oct 24, 2022 09:07 AM
    Here is a link to some documentation in case you didn’t already find it: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/user/grid-filters-advanced
    Also, if you click in the main/global search at the top in the middle; at the bottom of the dropdown list you should see a link that says: Search for rows in a table using advanced filters. Clicking on that will give you a list of all entities to select from.

——————————
    Jeff Henry
    Application Manager
    XTRA Lease
    Saint Louis MO
    ——————————

Cynthia Lagueux
    Posted Oct 24, 2022 02:20 PM
    Thanks Jeff – there’s more useful information in here than what I found on Microsoft sites!
    When we turned off the Modern Advanced Find in our Live environment, we left it on in our Sandbox, and have been testing and documenting there.

The main/global search at the top in the middle has never appeared there, though it’s in our Live environment. In Sandbox we still have the old magnifying glass. Also more interestingly, though the MAF is on, we still have the Advanced Find “funnel” in Sandbox. I thought that both environments would be the same, but clearly not.

——————————
    Cynthia Lagueux
    Special Olympics Canada
    ON
    ——————————

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Elaine Bardzil
    Posted Oct 24, 2022 01:20 PM
    Hi Julia~ (feel free to file under TLDR)

I agree with you on this. I was happy up through last week when i was able to choose to use the legacy Advanced Find and/or use the Edit Filters, Edit Columns icons at the top right of the views. The majority of my users will likely not notice that the Advanced Find icon is gone from the nav bar, but those who do will most surely be annoyed.

For now, i’ve sent the advanced users a link to the legacy Advanced Find and recommended that they bookmark it. Of course, I can’t WAIT for the day that it is deprecated as well. Such fun!
    https://<my org name>.crm.dynamics.com/main.aspx?pagetype=advancedfind

@Cynthia Lagueux: I’m also a bit perturbed that i have to go to a view of each individual record type to find/manage my saved views. Not having the “All” function for Saved Views so that I can easily delete or share one-off or no-longer-needed views of all record types that i’ve created in the past week/month/year is very annoying. NOT a time-saver.

EDIT: A HUGE thank you to @Jeff Henry for pointing me in the direction of being able to jump to see the saved views for ALL record types! I still feel it’s counter-productive that i cannot manage views for all record types at once (comment not directed at you but at Msft), but I do greatly appreciate the guidance!

If I were to make any recommendations to Microsoft for further “improvements” to this particular feature:

* Move or replicate the “Save as new View” and “Save changes to current View” commands to the “Edit Filters”/”Edit Columns” panel(s). The biggest frustration with changes like this is not the getting used to or embracing the new features, it is usually where the heck to find where things have been tucked away. The “hunt and peck” method is about as much fun as finding the switch for my garage light in my bedroom closet a year and a half after purchase. (Did you do the electrical design on my 1st house, Microsoft?)

* While you’re at it, please put the “Make Default View” in that panel as well. Again, the user experience is severely impacted when you have to provide a “map” to where buttons are located instead of putting them where they make sense to most users.

* Find somewhere to put the option to manage saved views for ALL record types.

* For the love of all that is good, please reconsider using the “person” icon for personal views. I get it – you are cute putting a “person” next to all “person”al views. However, all of that visual noise of my screen is unnecessary and distracting. How about bold for System Views and ‘Roman’ (not bold) for Personal Views? Throw in a little italic vs non- to differentiate? Different colors? I don’t think anyone needs more icons in their lives, especially when those icons are repeated ad nauseum throughout the application making them completely non distinctive from other areas where the same icon is repeated. I feel like i’m playing a never-ending game of Pictionary: “It’s a contact!” “It’s a systemuser!” “It’s someone who doesn’t want to upload their picture?”​

… Just my 2¢

——————————
    Elaine Bardzil
    CRM Administrator
    Servicelink
    ——————————

Jason McAndrew
    Posted Oct 26, 2022 04:36 AM
    Edited by Jason McAndrew Oct 26, 2022 04:36 AM
    The general feedback i get from users is the classic advanced find is awkward to use and somewhat confusing.

The modern advanced find is a great improvement, it’s much simpler and is integrated into the view screen that everyone is already familiar with.

The Edit Columns and Edit Filters buttons have been around for a while so the main changes are,

The removal of the funnel icon
    Ability to select an entity from the global search
    New buttons in the view selector for ‘Save as New View’ and ‘Manage and share views’
    I’d say go for it. You’ll be surprised how much easier it is for the end user. You can still use classic advanced find if you wish by going to Settings > Advanced Settings.

——————————
    Jason McAndrew
    D365 Admin / Dev
    Sheffield, UK
    ——————————

Sharon Whitwam
    Posted Oct 26, 2022 08:42 AM
    Our advanced find was changed automatically this week and a user found it before I did (frustrating). I would say that I am neither in the nay or the yay camp yet. After using it for a few days, I am getting used to it. It makes sharing view easier. I liked to use the Advanced Find (funnel) because I thought it was easier to view the logic of the query, but am getting used to the Edit Filters.

One thing that I find frustrating is that I now can’t see all entities to query on even if I click the Search box. Can anyone help me out? Our consultant set up some lookups as tables and I can’t see any of them to be able to make updates.

Sharon Whitwam

——————————
    Sharon Whitwam
    Ayres Associates
    Eau Claire WI
    ——————————

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Paul Richards
    Posted Oct 26, 2022 01:02 PM
    I am in the Nay group for 2 main reasons.

#1 – All Tables are not included in the Modern Version.

#2 – Functionalities are not included in the Modern Version.

​​

——————————
    Paul Richards
    BlueCrest Inc
    Danbury
    ——————————

Jason McAndrew
    Posted Oct 27, 2022 02:42 AM
    Hi Paul,

It is possible to add or remove tables as you wish by editing the model driven app. I actually removed a lot of tables to make it simpler for the end user, so they only see necessary tables.

Thanks
    Jason

——————————
    Jason McAndrew
    D365 Admin / Dev
    Sheffield, UK
    ——————————

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Paul Richards
    Posted Oct 27, 2022 09:11 AM
    Jason,

While this is true, we are now required to update the app to get what was once already there. In our case, adding in tables that were previously already available.

While there are many benefits for the end user to not see all tables, there are also many reasons for Admins to have access to them.

Take care,
    Paul

——————————
    Paul Richards
    BlueCrest Inc
    Danbury
    ——————————

Darcy Smith
    Posted Oct 27, 2022 11:52 AM
    We have a separate app for users and admins for that very reason.

——————————
    Darcy Smith
    ICF
    ——————————

Cynthia Lagueux
    Posted Oct 28, 2022 09:12 AM
    I said previously that this is a great idea, but why should it even be necessary? Was the complete list of entities causing harm somehow?
    Just like the funnel, it was convenient. Why does the funnel need to be removed, it’s not like that’s a crowded space in the ribbon, and it takes the user to the MAF anyway.

These types of changes to me are change for change’s sake. It irks me that customers have to complain to get these nonsensical changes reversed. It means our users are irritated with the initial change, then roll their eyes when it’s reversed.

I’m in a venting mood…

——————————
    Cynthia Lagueux
    Special Olympics Canada
    ON
    ——————————

Sharon Whitwam
    Posted Oct 28, 2022 12:55 PM
    Greatly said. My users are asking that very question, “Why did they have to change it? It was working great the way it was. Did they change it just to change it?”

Sharon Whitwam

——————————
    Sharon Whitwam
    Ayres Associates
    Eau Claire WI
    ——————————

Julian Coleman
    Posted Oct 28, 2022 07:15 AM
    Hi all,

Has the funnel reappeared for anyone else? A user just pointed out to me that it is back after disappearing about a week ago. Anyone know what’s going on?

Thanks,

——————————
    Julian Coleman
    The Felix Project
    London
    ——————————

Jason McAndrew
    Posted Oct 28, 2022 07:44 AM
    Hi Julian,

Check the settings for your environment in the maker portal Settings > Product > Features and see if Dataverse search is turned off.

Turn dataverse search on to remove the funnel icon.

Thanks
    Jason

——————————
    Jason McAndrew
    D365 Admin / Dev
    Sheffield, UK
    ——————————

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Paul Richards
    Posted Oct 28, 2022 08:55 AM
    I believe the Dataverse search toggle is for the changes to the Quick Find.

To toggle the MAF on and off is “Modern advanced find in model-driven apps” under the Advanced find options.

All of this is found in the PPAC Environment>Settings>Product>Features​

——————————
    Paul Richards
    BlueCrest Inc
    Danbury
    ——————————

Julian Coleman
    Posted Oct 28, 2022 11:39 AM
    Hi Jason,

You’re quite right, but that doesn’t explain why it disappeared for a while and then reappeared! Anyway, I am going to try switching it on now to try and get users in the habit of using MAF as it will surely be completely retired eventually.

Thanks,

——————————
    Julian Coleman
    The Felix Project
    London
    ——————————

GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
    Peter Hale
    Posted Nov 07, 2022 06:24 PM
    Hi All

Get used to it people – train your users just like everything else – not that hard form most people and for the general user is it much easier. As someone has said it will be retired eventually once you can everything (which should only affect devs).

It was forecast in the release notes for Wave 2 which had over a month’s worth of warning and it has been there for a while.

The reason for only showing the tables in the app – who wants to see all 300-400 tables that are there now – if you don’t believe me go to custom in the security roles and see how many extras 99% will never look at but in the funnel, they are all there

If you want the funnel – Gear Wheel > Advanced Settings > and there it is – I have found though that if you have Open in Application Mode turned on you never get to the old setting web sites – maybe that was an unintended bug and it has been fixed.

BTW – you really don’t want you users seeing tables they don’t need.

Pete

——————————
    Peter Hale
    Naish Pty Ltd
    ——————————

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Julia Streatfield
    Posted Dec 09, 2022 05:07 AM
    Hello everyone

I didn’t realise what a can of worms I was opening when I made this post! The new adv find is definitely a Marmite isn’t it.

Thank you all for your comments which have been a great help. My lovely colleague Martha has read them all and has put together a ‘how to’ for us which we are about to go live with so onwards and upwards.

HAGW all
    Jules

——————————
    Julia Streatfield
    CBI
    London
    ——————————

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Niels Søgaard Lønberg
    Posted Dec 20, 2022 03:43 AM
    Has anyone experienced that the ‘Share’ option is missing from modern advanced find?

Our users can see the option and share views in the classic advanced find but not in the modern experience. Me neither as system admin. So, it is not related to security privileges.

Is there an option to disable this anywhere?

——————————
    Niels Lønberg
    Digital Sales Specialist
    Semco Maritime
    ——————————

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Donal McCarthy
    Posted Dec 20, 2022 03:54 AM
    Edited by Donal McCarthy Dec 20, 2022 03:54 AM
    @Niels Søgaard Lønberg
    Just signed in as a very limited user (Basic User plus access to a few custom tables) and it is there for them

——————————
    Donal McCarthy
    BrightWork 365 Solution Architect
    BrightWork
    Galway
    ——————————

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Ron Goetz
    Posted Dec 21, 2022 09:14 AM
    Hello Jules- I hope you can share with the group the How To that is being put together?
    thank you!
    Ron

——————————
    Ron Goetz
    Application Support Analyst
    Goddard Systems, Inc.
    Freeport IL
    ——————————

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Julia Streatfield
    Posted Dec 21, 2022 10:00 AM
    Hello everyone

Unfortunately I can’t share the guide with you as it’s an interactive video on our LMS, not a document. If I get a moment I’ll see if I can knock up a quick how-to based on the video but please don’t hold your breath.

Have a fabulous Christmas everyone and a very, very happy new year.

Best
    Jules

——————————
    Julia Streatfield
    CBI
    London
    ——————————

replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Modern Advanced Find – yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!