Minimize steps to cancel or change an order once released to warehouse

• Minimize steps to cancel or change an order once released to warehouse

Posted by Gino Pack on October 2, 2023 at 4:07 pm

I am working on a F&SCM implementation for an organization that ships Health Services supplies to schools. One of the decision points that came up is “When is it too late to pull an order from the warehouse?”. There may be situations where a customer wants to change an item on an order or cancel an order completely.

As I understand it as it gets further on in the picking process, it is more steps to remove an order from the warehouse because of all of the picks and puts created from work items. We have concerns about this time-consuming process.

Does anyone have any advice on how they’ve streamlined this process?

I am fairly new to F&SCM, coming from working with Business Central/NAV for the last 12 years so this is new territory for me.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Donnelly replied 6 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Crystal Ahrens

Organizer
    October 9, 2023 at 3:54 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

@bobbysmall Hi Bobby do you have any one in your Practice that can help Gino

• Bobby Small

October 14, 2023 at 9:00 am
    Up
    Down

Hi Gino – I am asking one of our Supply Chain experts to get you some quick feedback. Please reach out directly to me if you want to discuss this deeper. bsmall@ellipsesolutions.com

• Gino Pack

October 15, 2023 at 9:49 pm
      Up
      Down

Thanks Bobby, I’ll shoot you a quick e-mail with my contact information. I appreciate it!

• Chris Donnelly

October 23, 2023 at 10:46 am
    Up
    Down

Gino,

There are a lot of considerations here. Every customer/organization is different.

Some of the considerations are: number of lines on the order, size of the order (qty and $), nature of the product (i.e. expiration), nature of the business (high touch vs. operational excellence), size of the operation (volume of orders, number of order types/workflows), etc.

My advice would be to focus on learning their current process and adapting the solution to it.

Ideas on how to streamline:

– Set a deadline for any changes to an order. If the order goes into the warehouse, it’s getting shipped.

– Only allow ‘pulls’ from an order after packing and before shipping. Any changes or additions must be a new order.

– Charge a handling fee for some or all changes.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Chris

The discussion ‘Minimize steps to cancel or change an order once released to warehouse’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!