Interesting dilemma on post-go live intro of traditional Interco order mgmt

• Interesting dilemma on post-go live intro of traditional Interco order mgmt

Posted by Steve Emmons on October 5, 2023 at 12:28 pm

Hello!

I have an interesting dilemma as I introduce traditional D365 FO intercompany order fulfillment (and the associated configuration/business processing goodies) to a 10.0.36 environment. At go live, Products were independently loaded along with the corresponding released products by legal entity. While the product records are shared across legal entities, released products were not created off a product that arguable represented an identical product ambiguous of the legal entity.

Example:

1. Released Product AA was loaded into legal entity 1 at go live and associated with Product A.

2. Released Product BB was loaded into legal entity 2 at go live and associated with Product B.
    Products A and B are technically the same thing BUT obviously represented by 2 distinct product IDs.

In a perfect world, now that traditional intercompany is desired, we would want to have both Released Products AA and BB “linked” to Product A (or B, for that matter). The items have long since been transacted against in D365FO since go live, so it is fully believed that the ship has sailed for decoupling the Released Products from their current Product associations, and re-coupling them to a “shared” ProductID.

Re-implementing Products and Released Products is out of the question at this point, and so we are looking at an enhancement to leverage external item ID “hooks” within the 60-ish configuration/business logic points/classes of standard Intercompany.

Outside of this current direction, this is a bit of a “spray to all fields” sanity check to see if anyone else has cracked a similar nut for implementing standard intercompany where the “shared product ID” hook between legal entities was not initially followed or used.

Steve Emmons replied 4 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Crystal Ahrens

Organizer
    October 9, 2023 at 3:56 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hi Steve

I have not had deal with it post live @andrewlencsak any advice for Steve.

• Steve Emmons

October 18, 2023 at 11:56 am
    Up
    Down

Thank you Crystal – I have my knee jerk suspicions on the direction I’ll need to go for a no-code solution, and have designed an enhancement to accommodate the ask IF push comes to shove and I can’t get across the finish line with OOTB functionality. Any feedback from the community is appreciated!

• Zvika Rimalt

December 12, 2023 at 2:33 pm
    Up
    Down

What was the business reason to create One product as 2 product “AA” and “BB”?
    Surely there was something different about them for not wanting to create a single product and 2 released products, as is done as best practice?

• Steve Emmons

January 5, 2024 at 10:31 am
      Up
      Down

Hello Zvirka,

The “early implementation” decision to load a distinct Product ID for each Released Product ID, unique by legal entity (even though the Product is shared and visible across legal entities) predates me, unfortunately. I believe that it may have been, at least in part, due to a desire to model the legacy systems’ use of a similar concept to the external item ID for intercompany order processing.

The business went live with an intercompany order processing approach that leveraged the EDI integration, sending a purchase order out of the demand legal entity, through EDI as an 850, and into the supply legal entity using the external item ID as the “link”

There’s now a desire to roll that decision back, and use standard intercompany, particularly due to a forthcoming initiative for the creation of a new legal entity where intercompany ordering will also be performed. We have a hard “no” on the idea of reimplementing released products across legal entities with a common (shared) Product, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no way (safe or otherwise) to decouple a released product from an existing product and re-associate it to another product given the risk of, among other things, violating possible storage/tracking dimension setup variances, compromising transactional history, etc..

The discussion ‘Interesting dilemma on post-go live intro of traditional Interco order mgmt’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!