Handling Sales Tax Amount Updates for Prepaid Orders

• Handling Sales Tax Amount Updates for Prepaid Orders

Posted by Raheel Rao on January 24, 2023 at 5:54 pm
    • Raheel Rao

January 24, 2023 at 5:54 PM

Hi all,

I am looking into a scenario where suppose an ecom sales order came with a sales tax $3 however at the time of fulfilment, due to origin change for the shipment the new tax calculated is different then amount paid by the customer towards tax. For this example the updated calculated tax now is $2. In this case I would like to be able to get a report of orders with all those differences and be able to refund back customer if there was an over-payment of tax. If it was just a matter of tax over ride where actual tax would different the calculated tax, I could have easily used the Posted Sales Tax report. 

Also, this would not be an issue if I was just authorizing the payment on a credit card and capturing the updated amount. In this scenario, the payments are already captured or pre-paid.

Anyone else in direct to consumer space with D365 ran into this scenario? If yes, how did you handle it especially from reporting point of view?

Let me know please. 

Thanks,

Raheel

• Johnny Ingram

January 25, 2023 at 8:36 AM

Hey Raheel – We had this same scenario. We elected to create a charge code that posts to the appropriate tax ledger and customer account. We would post this charge code when a EDI order with sales tax was processed. We set the order with a new sales tax code that would not calculate sales tax (again).

This allowed us to match the prepaid order accordingly.

——————————
      Johnny Ingram
      Recreational Group
      Dalton GA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Raheel Rao

January 30, 2023 at 1:50 PM

Thanks for your feedback, Johnny! I think i’m getting what you’re saying. So in your case you technically always had a single calculation or say amount of tax on the sales order. Is that right?

——————————
      Raheel Rao
      ECCO
      IL
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Johnny Ingram

January 30, 2023 at 2:02 PM

Yes. We use Shopify and the order is passed to Dynamics via EDI. We do the following once the order is received in dynamics and ready to process:

1. We create the order with a non-taxable sales tax group. We created one called EDI. 
      2. We take the sales tax from the EDI message and we create a charge on the sales order. We use a charge code that credits the correct sales tax ledger account and debits the customer account 
        Charge code vvvvv

This maintains the sales tax that was calculated and paid for within Shopify.

Thanks,

——————————
      Johnny Ingram
      Recreational Group
      Dalton GA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Raheel Rao replied 1 year, 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Handling Sales Tax Amount Updates for Prepaid Orders’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!