Can Subworkflows return to the main workflow when done?

• Can Subworkflows return to the main workflow when done?

Posted by Patrick Perlas on March 6, 2023 at 12:02 pm
    • Patrick Perlas

March 6, 2023 at 12:02 PM

Hi all,

I have a Case Workflow that I’m working on, and it goes to several different departments for review and approval.  To handle rejection or re-review of certain tasks, I am thinking of inserting sub-workflows that would divert from the parent workflow, then return to where it left off on the parent workflow when done.

As I test this, once the sub-workflow is satisfied, it ends the workflow, instead of returning to the main workflow.  I have the “Subworkflow behavior” set at “Wait for the subworkflow to complete before continuing” hoping that it would do the trick, but it doesn’t.

Is anyone familiar with subworkflows, and can provide some suggestions?

Thanks.

Patrick

——————————
      Patrick Perlas
      Energy Recovery Inc
      San Leandro
      ——————————

• eric schimansky

April 11, 2023 at 10:25 PM

Hello Pat,

Check “Subworkflow behavior” setting again and it is set to “Wait for the subworkflow to complete before continuing.” correct setting for main workflow waits for the sub-workflow to finish before moving on.

Check “Return to calling workflow” setting in the sub-workflow step. This setting should be checked & sub-workflow returns to main workflow after completion.

Make sure that all necessary data is being passed between the sub-workflow and main workflow. This may include passing data from sub-workflow back to the main workflow, such as the results of a review or approval task.

Check sub-workflow itself to ensure that it’s set up-correctly and completing all steps before ending. If the sub-workflow is ending prematurely, it might be an error or incomplete configuration within sub-workflow.

Overall, key is that the sub-workflow is properly configured to return to the main workflow after completion.

——————————
      eric schimansky
      CTO
      portland
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Patrick Perlas

April 12, 2023 at 2:35 PM

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply!  I will test this out and let you know if this resolves my issue.

Much appreciated!

Patrick

——————————
      Patrick Perlas
      Energy Recovery Inc
      San Leandro
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Patrick Perlas

April 18, 2023 at 10:56 AM

Hi Eric,

I appreciate your response to my question.  I have a follow up question.  I was looking into my workflow setup and can’t seem to find the “Return to calling workflow” setting that you mentioned.  I checked the step in the main workflow and confirm that my “Subworkflow behavior” setting is set correctly, but cannot find the “Return to calling workflow” setting in either the main workflow or the sub-workflow.  Can you point out where this setting is?

Thanks!

Patrick

——————————
      Patrick Perlas
      Energy Recovery Inc
      San Leandro
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• eric schimansky

April 29, 2023 at 1:06 AM

Suggest achieving behavior of returning to calling workflow after child workflow completes>
      configure child workflow to run in the same context as parent workflow.
      Steps to do this:

1. Open child workflow in workflow editor
      2. In “Properties” section of the “Process” tab, find “Run workflow in context of” setting
      3. Set this option to “Same as parent workflow”
      4. Save and publish the child workflow

With this configuration, when child workflow completes, it will return to calling workflow and continue with next step. Note that “Wait for Workflow” step can also be used to pause the parent workflow until child workflow completes.
      Does this work for you?

——————————
      eric schimansky
      CTO
      portland
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• quest glt

May 1, 2023 at 7:07 AM

nice services

——————————
      quest glt
      Questglt
      cumming
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Patrick Perlas replied 1 year, 2 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Can Subworkflows return to the main workflow when done?’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!