Import not updating existing contact

• Import not updating existing contact

Posted by DSC Communities on January 26, 2023 at 11:58 pm

Import not updating existing contactFollow
    Ravi Mistry
    Ravi MistryJan 26, 2023 07:29 AM
    I am trying to import some data to update existing contacts but keep getting the error ” A record …
    1. Import not updating existing contact

Ravi Mistry
    Posted Jan 26, 2023 07:29 AM
    I am trying to import some data to update existing contacts but keep getting the error “A record was not created or updated because a duplicate of the current record already exists.”

If i import with selecting allow duplicates it create new records any ideas on how i can get the record to update.

——————————
    Ravi Mistry
    Countryside Alliance
    London
    ——————————

2. RE: Import not updating existing contact

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Donal McCarthy
    Posted Jan 27, 2023 02:54 AM
    It sounds like you are trying to update a contact that has a dupe (defined as two or more contacts with the same email address).
    Try this – create a chart in contacts as below.
    Any contact that returns more than one is a duplicate, and you need to either eliminate the dupes or remove them from your import.

——————————
    Donal McCarthy
    BrightWork 365 Solution Architect
    BrightWork
    Galway
    ——————————

3. RE: Import not updating existing contact

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Amanda Squires
    Posted Jan 27, 2023 03:05 AM
    Hi Ravi

Depending upon what your duplicate record settings are checking for Contacts, there must be some entry in your input file that violates that. It could be checking a deactivated record also.

In the input file results, it should tell you which column is causing you issues (on the failures tab).

4. RE: Import not updating existing contact

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Cristall Amurao
    Posted Jan 27, 2023 06:50 AM
    Hello Ravi,

Try to filter the contact you want to update in Advanced Find and export it.

Make sure you include the column you want to update for that contact.

Then work on the spreadsheet and add your edits and reupload. The hidden columns include the GUID of that contact and you should be able to update it.

——————————
    Thanks,
    Cristall Amurao
    Solutions Architect
    ON, Canada
    ——————————

5. RE: Import not updating existing contact

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Tim Dailey
    Posted Jan 27, 2023 11:51 AM
    Hello Ravi,
    The best way I have found to update existing records is to export your list of contacts as a “Dynamic Worksheet”.
    Be sure to add the column(s) for the fields you want to update data for.

This will add 3 columns to the exported file which are helpful for updates. (Guid, modified on date, modified by) It’s important to leave these columns, they are hidden as A, B, C.

Once this is exported, you can leave only the hidden columns and the columns of data you are updating.

Simply import that list back in and it will not give you any errors based on duplicates or unable to reference because you have the unique ID for each contact in the spreadsheet.

Hope this helps, thanks!

——————————
    Tim Dailey
    Sr Marketing CRM Administrator
    Starkey Hearing Technologies
    The CRM Dude (freelance consultant)
    Victoria MN
    ——————————

replied 1 year ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Import not updating existing contact’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!