Using Customer Price Group for customer segmentation

• Using Customer Price Group for customer segmentation

Posted by DSC Communities on December 19, 2016 at 2:53 pm
    • Jennifer Fernandes Hanf

December 19, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Hi All,

I’m looking for an easy way to segment and filter for a specific group of customers for reporting and analysis without setting up more dimensions (we have several dimensions for customers).  We do not need to track at the transaction level, just the customer level. We do not currently use customer price groups or customer discount groups in NAV.  Are there any downsides to setting up a customer price group or a customer discount group and assigning the group to the customers for easy filtering purposes? 

——————————
      Jennifer Fernandes Hanf
      World Wide Sires, Ltd
      Visalia CA
      ——————————

• Lewis Rosenberg

December 19, 2016 at 4:16 PM

I’m not in favor of using an existing field with logic tied to it.   Are you using the SEARCH NAME field?  There is also a field (not on the Customer Page by default called CHAIN NAME that has no functionality that I know of.  I believe it is a ten character CODE field.

——————————
      Lewis Rosenberg
      IT Manager
      Mars Fishcare
      Chalfont PA

NAVUG Board of Advisors, Programming
      NAVUG Programming Commitee
      NAVUG Membership Committee
      ————————————————————————-

• David Wiser

December 19, 2016 at 7:03 PM

I second Lewis’ reluctance of re-purposing existing fields.  The fields he mentioned will work or you could easily add a new field to the customer card to categorize the customers.  Additional coding would be needed if you wanted that code to flow to sales order and invoices.

——————————
      Dave Wiser
      Controller
      Beckwith & Kuffel
      Seattle WA

December 20, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Thank you Lewis and Dave for your suggestions and guidance on this. 

——————————
      Jennifer Fernandes Hanf
      World Wide Sires, Ltd
      Visalia CA

• Jason Nicolaou

December 20, 2016 at 7:12 AM

Good morning Jennifer.  You said that you have used dimensions, but you didn’t mention if you had used the customer posting group.  You have to consider how your transactions are mapped and the structure of your G/L, but if the routine was mapped the same then you created a filter without impacting your posting.  This is similar to a dimension, but not exactly the same.  Second, what type of report are you trying to create?  This filter works fine for Customer Sales Statistics.

I also agree with the other comments about re-purposing a field with logic.

Good luck! 

——————————
      Jason Nicolaou
      Solutions Architect
      Socius
      Dublin OH

• Jeane Meade

December 20, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Like Jason, we use the Customer Posting Group for segmenting customers.

——————————
      Jeane Meade
      IT/DBM
      Sheldons’, Inc.
      Antigo WI

• Clive Parker

December 20, 2016 at 9:06 AM

We have several added fields on the customer card and they work well for the sort of reporting you are describing.  I have also set up power pivot (PP) – which was a lot of learning – but permits amazing slicing and dicing of data.  It also adds to reporting capability. For example many NAV reports must be run multiple times to view multiple periods, but can be run just once in PP.

——————————
      Clive Parker
      President, CFO
      Macho Products, Inc.
      Sebastian FL

• Cynthia Priebe

December 20, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Jennifer, 

I agree with Jason and Jeane, however another option to consider is Gen. Bus. Posting Group.

You have indicated that you don’t need this value for reporting at a transaction level, but that is today. If you can make a decision for today that may also benefit you in the future, then it should be considered. Gen. Bus. Posting Group is saved to G/L Entry and Sales Invoice Line while Customer Posting Group is not. The Customer Posting Group is saved to the Customer Ledger Entry, where Gen. Bus. Posting Group is not.

Consider all options, however as stated by others, I would suggest NOT re-purposing a field for what you are attempting to do. Either Customer Posting Group or Gen. Bus. Posting Group, IMHO, would be properly used if enlisted for your purpose. 

——————————
      Cynthia Priebe, MCTS, DCP
      Senior Business Analyst and Project Manager
      Liberty Grove Software
      Grafton OH

December 21, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Thanks everyone for the additional suggestions and ideas.  We are already using Customer Posting Groups for our main customer segmentation along with some dimensions but I hadn’t thought about using a General Business Posting Group.  That is an interesting idea. 

Our goal is to find all customers that are using a special free service we provide and analyze sales statistics and measure market share. We decided to add a custom field to the customer table and build a Jet Report to achieve this.

——————————
      Jennifer Fernandes Hanf
      World Wide Sires, Ltd
      Visalia CA

• Mark Rhodes

December 21, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Did someone mention Robb Delprado’s 2nd favorite topic, posting groups?  We have some great recordings on that and using dimensions in the recording library.  See the links before for those searches:

Posting Groups: https://www.navug.com/search?executeSearch=true&SearchTerm=posting&rf=%5ETags%3Awebinar_recording%5E

Dimensions: https://www.navug.com/engage/recordingsarchive/searchrecordings?executeSearch=true&LibrariesList=6b336b93-62a5-4fe1-bf9f-074d4ed8292e%2cf878622c-36bc-414d-a9d4-1c0789df23e1&st=MostRecent&rf=Tags%3aaccount_schedules_and_dimensions

——————————
      Mark Rhodes
      Director, NAVUG
      Dynamic Communities
      Windsor CO

DSC Communities replied 7 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Using Customer Price Group for customer segmentation’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!