Uploading Multiple Item Cross References (instead of one at at time)

• Uploading Multiple Item Cross References (instead of one at at time)

Posted by DSC Communities on December 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm
    • Nigel Rhodes

December 15, 2016 at 4:56 PM

HI all,

I read this blog post on how to Setting up Item Cross Reference for Customers and Vendors. Doing it one by one is fine, but I have 90 SKU’s I need to update (possibly even more going forward). Surely there is a way to do what this blog is saying but in bulk/batch?

Thank you for the help!

ArcherPoint, Inc. remove preview
      Setting up Item Cross Reference for Customers and Vendors
      Do you know how to set up Item Cross References for Customers and Vendors in Microsoft Dynamics NAV2013? Using Item Cross Reference allows you to quickly identify the items that were ordered by a customer or that you are purchasing from a vendor on the basis of item numbers other than your own.
      View this on ArcherPoint, Inc. >

——————————
      Nigel Rhodes
      Pacsafe
      Seattle WA
      ——————————

• Bob Bergman

December 15, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Have you tried Rapidstart?

——————————
      Bob Bergman
      President
      REB Dynamics Consulting
      Port Charlotte FL
      ————————————————————————-

• Saurabh Shah

December 16, 2016 at 3:48 AM

Hello, 

As Bob mentioned, You should use RapidStart functionality of Dynamics NAV where you can import the data in bulk with all the validations of NAV. 

Fort this requirement of Item Cross reference import, you should use Table 5717. 

for more information about how to use the Rapidstart please follow below link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh997463(v=nav.70).aspx

Let us know if you need any other help on this.

Regards,

——————————
      Saurabh Shah
      Amerdian LLC
      Midlothian VA

• Jason Nicolaou

December 16, 2016 at 7:55 AM

Which version are you on?  NAV 2017 web client has an “Edit in Excel” function that allows publishing back to NAV easier than the traditional export → modify → import process.  

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

——————————
      Jason Nicolaou
      Solutions Architect
      Socius
      Dublin OH

• Matt Traxinger

December 16, 2016 at 8:36 AM

Rapid Start is probably the best way to go, but I will add if you don’t want to learn that, and aren’t using the Web Client, there is an Edit in Excel add-in for the Windows Client that can be installed. I personally don’t know that it’s worth adding a customization for something that you can do without one, but the option is there.

——————————
      Matt Traxinger
      NAV Developer
      ArcherPoint Inc.
      San Antonio TX

• Eric Moe

December 16, 2016 at 10:56 AM

You should be able to paste rows from Excel directly to the cross reference tables.  You can right-click in the table and “Copy Rows”, then paste that into Excel to get the template.  Fill out your information in Excel, select the data you want to add to NAV, copy, and then go back to the cross reference table, and right-click for “Paste Rows”.  It should dump the data right in.  Sometimes I have to delete the last row in the table to get the function to work.

Rapidstart, or “Configuration Packages” is another way to do pretty much the same thing.  

——————————
      Eric Moe
      Business Analyst
      Industrial Revolution
      Tukwila WA

• Rick Dill

December 16, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Hi Nigel,

The process you referenced walks through the process to manually add records to the cross reference table.

If you are familiar with Rapid Start, (or data migration is it was referred to in pre-2015 releases), then you would be able to create an excel spreadsheet template, populate the 90 lines of data, and import them  into the Item cross reference table. 

NAV help walks you through the Rapid Start process so I will not cover that hear, but that would do exactly what you are looking for.

——————————
      Rick Dill
      Consultant
      ArcherPoint Inc.
      Waupaca WI

• Kris Ruyeras

December 16, 2016 at 5:12 PM

I will continue to hammer the nail here as others have noted, RapidStart would be the option to go, It would at least validate the Item no. as you import it and will let you know if there are any errors and that’s if you use NAV 13+ version.

——————————
      Kristoffer Ruyeras
      Director of Business Technology
      Bellegrove Medical Supply
      Redmond, WA

• Jeane Meade

December 19, 2016 at 11:17 AM

I concur – RapidStart is the way to go.  I am using RapidStart for this exact same process – putting in Item Cross References. 

——————————
      Jeane Meade
      IT/DBM
      Sheldons’, Inc.
      Antigo WI

DSC Communities replied 7 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Uploading Multiple Item Cross References (instead of one at at time)’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!