Unit Cost on Sales Invoice Line

• Unit Cost on Sales Invoice Line

Posted by Meenakshi Singh on February 7, 2018 at 8:08 am
    • Meenakshi Singh

February 7, 2018 at 8:08 AM

Hello costing experts,

I have an issue with the unit cost on Sales Invoice line. So, at one point, it seems like the item cost was $91. I say, it seems as I can’t find proof of it as it was all adjusted back to $17 on all the item ledger entries.

So, my posted shipment entry in the item ledger entry now has the correct cost of $17. My item card shows the correct cost of $18 (yes, it did increase a little bit) , but my Invoice line for same shipment same item is showing a Unit cost of $91.  Why is that? Why is the adjust cost not adjusting the invoiced entry on the sales invoice line?
      What am I missing here?

We are on NAV 2013 & use FIFO costing.

Thank you in advance for your help!
      Meenakshi

——————————
      Meenakshi Singh
      Manager of Business Applications
      Home Market Foods, Inc.
      Norwood MA
      ——————————

• Cynthia Priebe

February 7, 2018 at 8:48 AM

Meenakshi,

As far as I know, Adjust Cost has never updated the cost on the Sales Invoice Lines.

This is why I tell users not to use the Sales Invoice Line for any reporting related to cost or profit. You must use the Item Ledger/Value Entry for the shipment or invoice for this.

It is possible that there are ISV solutions that are updating/modifying the cost on the Sales Invoice Line, but not base NAV. I am sure someone will correct me if I am incorrect 😉

——————————
      Cynthia Priebe, MCTS, DCP
      Senior Business Analyst and Project Manager
      Liberty Grove Software
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Meenakshi Singh

February 7, 2018 at 9:53 AM

Thanks Cynthia! I usually don’t get the cost information from sales invoice line but was working on a report and thought might as well get it from the same table and discovered this?.  I guess I just didn’t think adjust cost won’t adjust the sales invoice line cost. It just feels broken process.
      For now, I will update my report to get cost from ILE.

Thanks for the insight!
      Meenakshi

——————————
      Meenakshi Singh
      Home Market Foods, Inc.
      Norwood MA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Cynthia Priebe

February 7, 2018 at 9:59 AM

Meenaskshi,

Glad to help.

I would not have known if not for a customer many years ago that was paying commission based on profit from the sales invoice line information.

They had an item that was defaulting unit cost on the sales line as  .13  instead of 1,300. Needless to say, when really big commission checks were being calculated and they knew something was not right. 

Since then, I make sure to share that Adjust Cost does not update sales lines as part of my training. I am fortunate to have been “taught” this early on.

——————————
      Cynthia Priebe, MCTS, DCP
      Senior Business Analyst and Project Manager
      Liberty Grove Software
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Val Gameiro

February 8, 2018 at 9:57 AM

Yup, I agree with . ILE and VE are the places to get your costing per transaction.

If you were doing average cost, then the Item Card could also be a good place for that, but on FIFO, you have to get it from each transaction.?

——————————
      Val Gameiro
      Senior NAV Analyst
      BPL Plasma Inc.
      Austin, Texas
      NAVUG Austin Chapter Leader
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Meenakshi Singh

February 9, 2018 at 1:29 PM

Thank you for the confirmation !!?

——————————
      Meenakshi Singh
      Home Market Foods, Inc.
      Norwood MA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Meenakshi Singh replied 6 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Unit Cost on Sales Invoice Line’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!