Splitting one invoice into multiple 1099 Categories

• Splitting one invoice into multiple 1099 Categories

Posted by DSC Communities on January 19, 2017 at 12:10 pm
    • Gary Deemer

January 19, 2017 at 12:10 PM

We are processing 1099’s and we have a vendor which has sent us a single invoice that bills us for non-employee compensation services as well as rental charges.  I see how to flip the 1099 categories on the Vendor Ledger entry screen but I can’t figure out how to use two separate categories for one invoice (one line).

——————————
      Gary Deemer
      Accounting Director/Treasurer
      Arbor Day Foundation
      Lincoln NE
      ——————————

• Kim Dallefeld

January 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM

NAV really doesn’t handle splitting one invoice into more than one 1099 code. You can on the unposted invoice flag some lines as not 1099 liable.

The only real solution is to enter multiple invoices coding each to the desired 1099 code.

If you have already posted the invoice, you could apply a credit memo and do the separate invoices. If you have already paid the invoice, I would clear the 1099 from the invoice, do separate invoices and pay the invoices using manual check. This will require a GL entry to reverse the accounts debited on the invoices and the account credited for the manual check.

Not a clean solution but one that will work. 

——————————
      Kim Dallefeld
      NAV Consultant
      Ft Worth, TX
      Kim@Dallefeld.com
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Adam Jacobson

January 20, 2017 at 8:36 AM

I would add one addition to Kim’s answer.  Since you have to create some kind of check when you adjust 1099 amounts, I’d suggest setting up a dummy bank account just for 1099’s.  this way, the debits and credits will clear and you don’t need a journal entry.  I just worked this out for a recent conversion. Here’s  a blog post on the subject

——————————
      Adam Jacobson
      President
      Red Three Consulting, Inc.
      Bronx NY
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Gary Deemer

January 20, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Thanks for the great suggestion, Adam!

——————————
      Gary Deemer
      Arbor Day Foundation
      Lincoln NE
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Gary Deemer

January 20, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Thanks, Kim, for the workaround.  I suspected there wasn’t another more “elegant” solution, but I appreciate you confirming that for us!

——————————
      Gary Deemer
      Arbor Day Foundation
      Lincoln NE
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

DSC Communities replied 7 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Splitting one invoice into multiple 1099 Categories’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!