Sales LINE Number Series

• Sales LINE Number Series

Posted by Michael Sedlock on July 1, 2020 at 10:19 am
    • Michael Sedlock

July 1, 2020 at 10:19 AM

Hi D365UG / NAVUG,

As you all probably know, Sales Order LINES start at 10,000 and increment by 10,000, at least they do in my NAV2017. I would like to know if it is possible to change increments to start at 10 and increment by 10?

I did some forum searching but couldn’t find any related topics. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

——————————
      Michael Sedlock
      VP of I.T.
      Dukal Corporation
      Ronkonkoma NY
      ——————————

• Lewis Rosenberg

July 1, 2020 at 8:11 PM

I believe that the AUTOSPLIT key page property is what generates the line umber pattern of 10000, 20000, 30000, etc. and then when lines are inserted calculates the midpoint (i.e. 15000 for a new line between the first and second).

I don’t know if there is a way to change the range from 10000 to something else, but you can set the property to NO and use your own code to calculate line numbers.

——————————
      Lewis Rosenberg
      IT Manager
      Mars Fishcare
      Chalfont PA
      http://www.apifishcare.com
      ————————————————————————
      BCUG/NAVUG All-Star
      BCUG/NAVUG Board of Advisors, Chairperson
      BCUG/NAVUG Programming Committee

Twitter: @RosenbergL
      LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rosenbergl
      ————————————————————————

NAVUG/D365BC-Community Summit: https://na.usergroupsummit.com/home
      October 6-9, 2020
      Nashville, TN
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Ron Saritzky

July 2, 2020 at 12:59 AM

I’m interested in why you want to change this? It’s an internal reference and part of the table’s primary key. The initial number is large so the Autosplitkey can insert numbers in between – it divides by 2 each time, so it can only insert 12 lines before it runs out of space.

Now, of course manually numbering the lines doesn’t have this restriction.

If it’s for a customer-facing reference, you could add your own line number in addition to the line number already there, or display it as divided by 1000 and rounded.

There are numerous places in the NAV code base that initializes and increments line numbers at 10000, for example all journals. 

I’ve been a NAV consultant for 20 years, and this is the first time I’ve heard about a desire to change the default numbering sequence. That’s not to say there isn’t a business reason to do so – I’d just be interested in knowing.

——————————
      Ron Saritzky
      Generate Life Sciences
      Los Angeles CA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Michael Sedlock

July 2, 2020 at 8:01 AM

Thank you for the responses.

Hi
      Well I’m glad to know that after 20 years there are still questions that can surprise and challenge you…. 🙂

the reason I asked is that our 3PL warehouse partner can only support 6 chars in the EDI 940 and in their system internally. We recently ran into an issue where we went over that limit on a Transfer Order and we are getting close on Sales Orders as well. 
      Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

——————————
      Michael Sedlock
      VP of I.T.
      Dukal Corporation
      Ronkonkoma NY
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Lydia Deese

July 2, 2020 at 10:40 AM

One option on this is rather than alter base code, alter your 940 functionality. You could strip and re-add a trailing 0/5 in the 940/945 process to meet their requirements. This would likely be easier than a custom line count into the 940 and decoding it on the 945, though that would still be possible. In a 6 character limit this would maintain your ability for 5 inserts while also giving you the ability to send up to 999 lines.

——————————
      Lydia Deese
      Silverware
      Seattle WA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Ron Saritzky

July 2, 2020 at 1:05 PM

Hi Michael,

Well, that is certainly a legitimate reason!  I must admit that my experience with EDI has been limited to integration with a NAV addon that integrates with an EDI service provider (SPSCommerce).  There is custom code that builds the bridge between NAV orders and the EDI documents.  It does add an EDI line number cross-reference field to the Sales line table, so the Sales Line number is left unaffected.

If I were to recommend a solution, it would go along those lines – add a custom field to the Sales Line and the history tables (Sales Shipment Line, Sales Invoice Line and Sales Cr.Memo Line), along with logic to assign values to that field at the appropriate time (At Release, perhaps?).

I hope that helps just a little bit. Best of luck!

——————————
      Ron Saritzky
      Generate Life Sciences
      Los Angeles CA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Ron Ketterling

July 2, 2020 at 7:03 AM

NAV uses the 10000 range to allow for line insertion. One insertion 5000, second insertion 2500, third 1250, fourth 625 and no more because 625 cannot be divided into another whole number. Setting it to 10 will allow one line insertion.
      Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

——————————————-

Michael Sedlock replied 3 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Sales LINE Number Series’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!