Fixed Asset Question

• Amanda Mayer

March 7, 2023 at 12:46 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

If you have a CIP / Fixed Asset in Progress G/L account you could use that as the balancing account in the Fixed Asset G/L Journal. That account will look strange until you get the funding, pay it out, and record the capital asset / liability, but it does allow you to create the asset until then.

• j.pettaway@stonemountainpark.org

March 7, 2023 at 12:49 pm
      Up
      Down

That is the traditional way of how we would record the asset; however, this is a different situation. We would never receive the funding. It has already been expended.

• Amanda Mayer

March 7, 2023 at 12:51 pm
    Up
    Down

Ah, but you did spend the money, correct? If you spent the money where was it recorded in your G/L? There is no way to create an unbalanced entry in BC. You could turn off the G/L integration to post acquisition cost, but then your asset balances won’t match the FA subledger.

March 7, 2023 at 1:17 pm
    Up
    Down

It’s an odd situation.

The funds were spent on our behalf on 1 of our projects.

March 8, 2023 at 9:25 am
    Up
    Down

I think I would need to treat the asset like a donated item. Debit the Fixed Asset & Credit a Revenue account (i.e. bond revenue) for the total value of the asset. We don’t have the expenses recorded because we did not spend or receive the actual funds.

The discussion ‘Fixed Asset Question’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!