Fiscal year end test – posting into closed period

• Fiscal year end test – posting into closed period

Posted by Joseph Gorman on April 13, 2022 at 3:16 pm
    • Joe Gorman

April 13, 2022 at 3:16 PM

Hello All,

We ran some year end closing test yesterday in or BC [18] and after closing the fiscal year and closing the income statement we were still able to post a purchase order (receipt and invoice) into a closed period. I had expected not to be able to do this; I thought the only posting I could do were correcting journal entries. The general ledger setup would allow me to post to this period as it is open in this test company for the whole year. So the only thing that should control the posting is the period being closed.

Could we have missed a step in the closing process?
      Has anyone else been able to post into a closed period?
      I don’t believe that we have any customization that might be affecting this.

Thanks…
      year end is closed

Created and posted a PO after the year/periods were closed

——————————
      Joe
      ——————————

• David Wiser

April 13, 2022 at 5:55 PM

As long as the Allowed-from and Allowed-to Posting Date range allows posting, you can post transactions into periods even if they have been closed by the Close Fiscal Year process.  When you close the fiscal year, you can then roll the income statement account balances to retained earnings.  Many companies do this soon after closing the mast month of the fiscal year.  But, after the audit, additional entries may need to be posted which is allowed as long as the posting ranges allow it.  But as you’ve seen, any transaction can be posted, not just adjusting general journals.  You will need to be very careful with who has access to post transactions after the fiscal year is closed.  Normally, the allowed posting dates are set in the General Ledger Setup to force users to post into open periods.  Then selected users can be allowed to post back into closed periods by adjustment the allowed posting date in the User Setup page.  Bu this should be temporary to prevent issues like you are seeing.

——————————
      David Wiser
      Sr. Solution Consultant
      Tigunia
      BCUG|NAVUG Board of Advisors
      BCUG|NAVUG Programming Committee
      BCUG|NAVUG All-Star
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Joe Gorman

April 13, 2022 at 6:41 PM

Hi David,
      Thanks for the response.
      “As long as the Allowed-from and Allowed-to Posting Date range allows posting, you can post transactions into periods even if they have been closed by the Close Fiscal Year process”

I always thought that there was a hierarchy where if the period was closed then you couldn’t post into that period and that was the end of it – the G/L setup (or the User setup) wasn’t even checked.
      Evidently not.

——————————
      Joe
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Joseph Gorman replied 2 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Fiscal year end test – posting into closed period’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!