Customer Configuration Template Error

• Customer Configuration Template Error

Posted by Lars Anderson on June 28, 2018 at 12:37 pm
    • Lars Anderson

June 28, 2018 at 12:37 PM

Hi,

When trying to link two Configuration Templates I get the error “The template xx does not relate to table nn”:

svON6wOQjmhtXHRsJe9Q_Error.PNG
      My main Configuration template sets the default values for a new Customer. I am attempting to link that with a “sub” template to set a dimension value for the same customer. Below is the “sub” Configuration Template:

CGIrSzW8T9my8tI18YjQ_Error2.PNG

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Lars.

——————————
      Lars Anderson
      Phillip Jeffries
      Fairfield NJ
      ——————————

• Kim Dallefeld

June 29, 2018 at 11:52 AM

Your customer template uses table 18 and your default dimensions uses table 352.  I don’t think you can link as you desire.

——————————
      Kim Dallefeld
      Kim@Dallefeld.com
      Dallefeld Consulting, LLC
      Past NAVUG Board Chairman
      NAVUG Programming Committee
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Jason Wilder

July 2, 2018 at 8:56 AM

Config. Templates are used for 2 things:
      1) When creating certain records (such as Customer in your case) you can hit the Apply Template button on the ribbon and it sets the fields specified in your template.
      2) Can be attached to a Configuration Package to automatically set some of the fields with a default value

Restrictions on linking a template are this:
      1) The Type field must = Template or Related Template
      2) The Template you choose to link must be the same table as Kim stated (so unfortunately you cannot do what you are trying to do in your example)
      3) The Template you are linking cannot have the same field that is already in your template

If you are trying to do this in a configuration package you would have to have to have 2 tables in the Package and 2 tabs on your excel spreadsheet (Customer and Default Dimension).  You would process the Customer table first and then the Default Dimension table.

If you are trying to “Apply Template” on the Customer Card then I do not think what you are trying to do can be done.   Seems silly doesn’t it?  Maybe I am missing something but I do not believe you can do this out of the box (super easy mod though).

??

——————————
      Jason Wilder
      Senior Application Developer
      Stonewall Kitchen
      York ME
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Lars Anderson

July 2, 2018 at 1:36 PM

Hi Kim and Jason,

Thanks for your responses to my posting. They are much appreciated.

I get that there are two uses for the templates (data entry efficiency and RapidStart) support. However it does not make any sense to me that there are two types (Template and Related Template) for the following reasons:

1. There would be little advantage in creating and linking two templates if they are for the same table. It would be simpler, quicker and more transparent to create one template with all required fields. But this could be the reason for the Template type.
      2. However I don’t get the reason for the Related Template type if you can’t relate tables. Doesn’t make any sense to me.
      3. I am unaware of being able to relate records in a RapidStart. When I have loaded data using RapidStart, I have not explicitly created any relationships between tables. How is this done?

As always, any response is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
      Lars.

——————————
      Lars Anderson
      Phillip Jeffries
      Fairfield NJ
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• John Hawkins

July 2, 2018 at 3:20 PM

Hi Lars,

I believe you need to add one more Mandatory field with a Default Value and one Field without a Default Value to get this to work.  Please add the Field “Table ID” with a Default Value of “18” and mark it Mandatory, and add Field “No.” with no Default Value.  Right now your template knows you want to add the Dimension DIVISION and which Dimension Value to assign but it doesn’t know which table or record within that table it should be assigned to.  My assumption is that if you add the Default Value for the Customer table as you have the Dimensions then NAV should auto-fill the No. Field for you.

——————————
      John Hawkins
      Accounting Systems Manager
      Wilks Brothers
      Cisco TX
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Jason Wilder

July 3, 2018 at 8:30 AM

@John please see if you can get that to work. I would love to see that you have figured this out!

@Lars I totally agree with #1, it really doesn’t make sense to ever use type = Template as it would just cause confusion.  Also agree with #2 that a Related Template can only be of the same Table. The code is very clear that it only shows and allows other templates that have the same table id (doesn’t make sense) in the Template Code field.

I came across a post from a while ago were someone who sounded really smart was talking about default dimensions templates.  I looked into it a little further and it seems there is something where you can attach dimensions to one of your master templates such as a Customer (it’s quite easy).  I missed this because I have NAV 2016 and it seems to be added in NAV 2017.  So the question is do you have NAV 2017 or later?????

——————————
      Jason Wilder
      Stonewall Kitchen
      York ME
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Lars Anderson

July 4, 2018 at 12:43 PM

Hi John and Jason,

Thanks for your postings. It’s great to get some response to my posting.

John: I adjusted my sub template to include the two new fields as you suggested but when I tried to link the templates I go the same error. Here are screen shots of the 2 templates:

Modified Sub Template

JNswGbRAQim7VSV0d5it_Main Template.PNG

Jason: We are using NAV 2017 so I am hoping that the article you mentioned can help. Please let me know how I can access it.

Take care, best regards, and many thanks,
      Lars.

——————————
      Lars Anderson
      Phillip Jeffries
      Fairfield NJ
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Jason Wilder

July 5, 2018 at 9:07 AM

Nice that you have NAV 2017.  I think I can tell you how to get this working but at the same time there seems to be a bug that stops so that you can only use one shortcut dimension per template (plus Global Dim 1 & 2).  I must say that though I am glad there is the ability to do dimensions in templates, it was implemented in a really weird, difficult to understand way.

Simply search for “Set Up Customer/Vendor/Item Templates” instead of “Configuration Templates”.  Though these 2 pages are built on the same table to start the “Set Up Customer/Vendor/Item Templates” when edited will pull up a different looking screen where you can fill in certain Customer pre-defined fields.  In the ribbon is an Action for Dimensions so you can set those up there.  It seems if you set up more than one then you will get an error later if you need to add fields (this must be a bug). 

Now that you have done this go back to your Template the other way (search for “Configuration Templates”) and you will magically see that a line was added for a Related Template (this answers our what is a Related Template question from earlier on in the post) with the Template Code filled in.  You will also see that the Template Code is also a brand new template for Table 352 Dimensions (don’t touch this template besides changing the default value).  As long as you have only one dimension you can still add fields as you normally would in your main Template.  **If your main template is perfect and you do not need to add fields you could add more than one dimension if you want**

So in summary:
      1) You do not need your CUST-S001 Template, but we will use your current CUST0001 one.
      2) Go to “Set Up Customer/Vendor/Item Templates” and Edit your CUST0001 Template.  Hit the Dimension Action in the ribbon and set up your dimension in this screen.  Close out.
      3) Go in the normal way (Configuration Templates) to your CUST0001 and you will see the new Related Template line at the bottom.

Give this a shot and see if it works for you.  I could get this working in a NAV 2017 Cronus Database.  There is also an option to save a template from the customer card which might be an easier way to go but see how far you can get with this.

——————————
      Jason Wilder
      Stonewall Kitchen
      York ME
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Lars Anderson

July 16, 2018 at 7:49 AM

Good morning Jason,

Thanks for your response and please accept my apologies for the late response. 

The good news is that your directions fixed the issue. I was able to edit the main template, set the dimensions, and saw the related template created.

I am very grateful – thank you!

Take care,
      Lars.

——————————
      Lars Anderson
      Phillip Jeffries
      Fairfield NJ
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Lars Anderson replied 5 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Customer Configuration Template Error’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!