Cloud Migration from GP to Business Central

• Cloud Migration from GP to Business Central

Posted by Robert Smith on September 16, 2023 at 2:27 pm

Hi, I am trying to run the GP cloud migration to Business Central. I have checked and confirmed all pre-requisites. The migration seems to proceed and process. the company is initialized but I don’t see any of the records in Business Central. The screen even tells me that all the tables have been migrated. I have tried starting over a few times and it all seems to run but NOTHING.

Am I missing a step after running the migration?

Any ideas?

Also, I am now getting Cloud Migration Does not support the new UI? Any suggestions would be appreaciated.

Jeff Woodard replied 7 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Gino Pack

September 27, 2023 at 10:39 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

I’d wait until after October 1st when BC23 (2023 Wave 2 Release) is live. Microsoft has made some enhancements to the Cloud Migration utility that allow you to see status as well as understand errors better.

You should be able to create a new Sandbox after October 1st on V23 and configure the Cloud Migration Utility again.

• Jeff Woodard

October 3, 2023 at 10:16 am
      Up
      Down

Any Gotchas when spinning up a trial? I know D365 CRM can cause some issues if you spin up a trial and let it expire in a production Msft 365 tenant.

• Gino Pack

October 3, 2023 at 10:25 am
        Up
        Down

Nothing like that. There are some time limits. A trial lasts 30 days, after 30 days if you do not convert to a paid license the environment is removed and will need to be re-created. You are able to extend the trial by another 30 days automatically, after 60 days your Microsoft partner will be needed to extend it further.

In reality, you only need 1 license to have a Business Central environment. So, if you purchase just 1 license, to complete this work it may be worth the safety net. You will need to add more users when you are ready to complete testing.

• Jeff Woodard

October 7, 2023 at 10:53 am
    Up
    Down

I seem to be running into the same issue with the V23 release in a newly spun up trial. It seems much of the documentation hasn’t caught up to the release yet. Installing the Integration runtime was straightforward, as was configuring and running the migration. I’ve got 8 companies, and tried with just 1 company, as well as all 8, but can’t seem to get from running the migration to getting the data in. My most recent attempt, I cleared the cloud data, and started the assisted migration from scratch. I selected all 8 companies, configured the GP migration, and ran it. It ran for approximately 8 hours, and I had 1 table error in one of the companies with a bad XML character.

After the migration, I see the companies created in BC, but with none of my migrated data other than the company name, and if I look at the ‘not initialized companies’, they are not initialized. At this point, I select each company, and select ‘schedule company initialization’, and after a few seconds and refreshing, they show ‘Initialized’. I’m not sure if this step is necessary, but it seems I’m not able to proceed unless I initialize each company being migrated.

If I follow the documentation correctly, all my GP data should be in the BC environment in staging tables, and the next step is to ‘Run Data Upgrade now’ option. When I try that, I get the error popup that says:
    “Cannot start upgrade because following companies are not ready to be migrated: <CMPANY1>, <CMPANY2>…. etc.” If I copy the details, it shows:

Cannot start upgrade because following companies are not ready to be migrated: <redacted>

Internal session ID:

xxxx

Application Insights session ID:

xxxx

Client activity id:

xxxx

Time stamp on error:

2023-10-07T11:34:14.1754924Z

User telemetry id:

xxxx

AL call stack:

“Hybrid Cloud Management”(CodeUnit 4001).VerifyCanStartUpgrade line 6 – Intelligent Cloud Base by Microsoft

“Hybrid GP Management”(CodeUnit 4016).InvokeDataUpgrade line 12 – Dynamics GP Intelligent Cloud by Microsoft

“Hybrid Cloud Management”(CodeUnit 4001).OnInvokeDataUpgrade(Event) line 2 – Intelligent Cloud Base by Microsoft

“Hybrid Cloud Management”(CodeUnit 4001).RunDataUpgrade line 15 – Intelligent Cloud Base by Microsoft

“Intelligent Cloud Management”(Page 4003).”RunDataUpgrade – OnAction”(Trigger) line 4 – Intelligent Cloud Base by Microsoft

Did I miss a step somewhere, or did I run into a bug? I’m not sure where to look for more information on the error being encountered. I also tried with a subset of companies that didn’t have the xml table error and got the same result.

The discussion ‘Cloud Migration from GP to Business Central’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!