Closing inventory period – problem with Service Item

• Closing inventory period – problem with Service Item

Posted by Alan Hyde on April 28, 2023 at 12:56 pm

Background: We have one item (item no. INSTALLATION) that is Type Service, rather than Type Inventory. (Note that this is not under the Service Module.) We are using on-premise NAV 18.

Even though this is not an inventory item, when I try to close inventory for the month of March, I get an error message “The Inventory Period cannot be closed because there is at least one item with unadjusted entries in the current period.” The Close Inventory Period – Test report identifies the culprit as the aforementioned item, saying that “the item has entries in this period that have not been adjusted.” The only activity in March for this item was a purchase order’s Purchase Receipt, where we apparently received this item and then un-received it; the 2 item ledger entries show a quantity of 1 and -1.

Any ideas on how to get these entries “adjusted” and close the inventory period? The Action “Adjust Cost – Item Entries” routine does not help, presumably because this item has no inventoriable cost.

Alan Hyde replied 1 year ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Chris Warren

April 30, 2023 at 2:46 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

Curious, have you ran the “Post Inventory Cost to G/L” function? We had some outstanding entries here before and experienced odd behavior like you mentioned.

• Alan Hyde

May 1, 2023 at 2:32 pm
      Up
      Down

I run the Post Inventory Cost to GL routine when I close the inventory period each month, but NAV always tells me that “There is nothing to post”, apparently because we have NAV set up to make adjustments in real time.

• David Wiser

May 2, 2023 at 1:53 pm
    Up
    Down

A couple of questions:

1. You said the quantities in the Item Ledger Entry are 1 and -1. Is that also true for the Remaining Inventory fields? Since this is a service item, the remaining quantities should be zero for both the receipt and the undo receipt.

2. On the item card is a flag labeled “Cost is Adjusted”. Is this checked or unchecked. For service items, this should always be checked since the item never has adjust costs run against it.

Lastly, can you run the close inventory process with the debugger turned on? Upon failure, the system should provide the actual item which is throwing the error. I have seen where the error message presented is not showing the actual item that is in question.

Dave

• Alan Hyde

May 2, 2023 at 2:44 pm
      Up
      Down

Good points, thanks David. We were OK with your points 1 and 2. Regarding the debugger, we need to remember that feature next time. I say “next time” because a consultant developer fixed the problem – just a few minutes ago – but there will be a considerable fee. Live and (hopefully) learn!

The discussion ‘Closing inventory period – problem with Service Item’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!