Adjusting part by vendor

• Adjusting part by vendor

Posted by Blaine Pennypacker on May 13, 2024 at 2:50 pm

Hi all, looking for some help. A scenario: We run a process with coiled steel and have 2 different vendors. Since the coiled rolls are purchased by weight, due to slight variances in width of the coiled steel (within our spec), each vendor has slightly different lengths of the coils. Our output is in length (feet) since our process is producing parts by length. Each coil is entered/tracked with Lot numbers.

My question is whether there is a way that BC can automatically adjust the length for a given part on a production order (coming from a BOM) to account for the different lengths by vendor. It would mean that when a lot number is entered, it should recognize the vendor the lot is from and then adjust for the length.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Blaine

Alex-Wiley replied 2 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Suzanne Scanlan

May 15, 2024 at 9:45 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

@alexwiley can you offer any insight?

• Lewis Rosenberg

May 16, 2024 at 9:18 am
    Up
    Down

Do your BOMs call for the raw material by a weight UOM or a length UOM? I am guessing you cannot convert between weight and length (ex: x feet = y pounds) because of the difference in how the coil is provided from each vendor.

• Alex-Wiley

May 17, 2024 at 9:55 am
    Up
    Down

Hi Blaine, exactly as you described it this would be a modification to the base functionality, there is no way to automatically adjust output based on lot criteria. However, if you did something like included a reference to the length difference in your lot numbering, or two different units of measure for the item, when the total component need is calculated the users could see from the components/lots list what the requirement would be (i.e. total output need is 100FT so I can select 4 * 25FT lots or 5*20FT lots). Depending on the whole process you may also be able to use the Calculation Formula = Length on the Production BOM for a quantity suggestion.

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!