Refresh Excel linked to on-prem SQL analysis server using Data Gateway in PBI service

• Refresh Excel linked to on-prem SQL analysis server using Data Gateway in PBI service

Posted by Michael Sedlock on July 8, 2020 at 8:31 am
    • Michael Sedlock

July 8, 2020 at 8:31 AM

Hello 

We have an on-prem SQL Analysis server, that can be accessed from the PBI service via MS On-prem Data gateway. 
      I can publish an excel that was built against the on-prem SQL Analysis server to PBI service, BUT I would like to have it refresh using the Data Gateway to get the most recent data. is this possible?

Hope I’m explained that clearly. If not please ask for clarification.

Thank you in advance,

——————————
      Michael Sedlock
      VP of I.T.
      Dukal Corporation
      Ronkonkoma NY
      ——————————

• Lifan Lou

July 9, 2020 at 2:32 AM

I believe you have to use Power BI Desktop for it then publish to PBI service to use gateway.

——————————
      Lifan Lou
      Comm Analyst
      North Ryde
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Martin Frisch

July 9, 2020 at 4:03 AM

Hi Michael,

I think it is possible to add a File Data Source in the Gateway, too. I think when you store the excel file in an on prem shares you should be able to access to file from PBI Service directly. 
      However I do not think you have any benefits from it as you can not create a live connection to this excel file. You have to schedule an regular import. Same as it is in SSAS. So it does not matter if you refresh the SSAS Model or the PBI Dataset. In case you want to refresh the data very often (e.g. every few minutes) I think it is even easier with SSAS as with the Power BI Dataset.

Best regards,
      Martin

——————————
      Martin Frisch
      BI Developer
      Trützschler GmbH & Co. KG
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Lutz Bendlin

July 10, 2020 at 6:40 AM

You can load the Excel workbook directly into the Power BI workspace and then abuse the Power BI dataset scheduler to refresh the Excel file.

——————————
      Lutz
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Michael Sedlock replied 3 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Refresh Excel linked to on-prem SQL analysis server using Data Gateway in PBI service’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!