How do I share a PowerBI App with users outside of my Org?

• How do I share a PowerBI App with users outside of my Org?

Posted by Steve Simon on May 14, 2020 at 11:28 pm
    • Steve Simon

May 14, 2020 at 11:28 PM

Dear Community,

This is my first post. My question is:

How do I share a PowerBI App with users outside of my Org?

I created a Report and Dashboard with PBI Desktop. Published it to the PBI Service. Then Created an APP, which I would like to share with a colleague. I am able to share a link to the Report via an outside email to this colleague. She can only view the report on my PBI Tenant. I would like her to see the app on her own PBI Tenant. Is it possible for me to register the app and allow her to see it on her tenant? If so, how to do that?

Regards,

steve_sig

PDG Consultants, President

201-951-6488 (M)  

PDG_logo_tiny    mpn_logo_sm

• Steven Magnuson

May 15, 2020 at 5:31 AM

To share outside your organization you’ll need to have Power BI Premium, and the workspace will need to be configured on your premium dedicated capacity (you can tell this by a diamond appearing next to the workspace name).  This allows you to share with other users who do not have a Power BI license.  To share securely with people in other organizations you have to set their account up with access to your tenent via Azure AD B2B.  You can read more about this here (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/b2b/user-properties).  Note: if the person you are sharing with has their own Power BI license, you won’t need to have a premium workspace.  Experientially though, it’s difficult to rely on clients having their own licenses, so I generally recommend having PowerBI Premium.

There is also a “Publish to Web” option that drops all security and lets you share the dashboard with the world, but that doesn’t seem to fit your use case.

——————————
      Steven Magnuson
      Business Intelligence Manager
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Matthew Dodds

April 27, 2021 at 8:32 PM

Hi Steven and All,

I was wondering if this solution is still viable? I brought this up with a consultant who noted this has changed and that the external user would need a license as well.

Also can you confirm if this works with a Power BI Premium Per User account or would it need to be the 5K option.

Appreciate your help on this issue

——————————
      Matthew Dodds
      Chartered Accountant
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Hubert Kobierzewski

May 15, 2020 at 7:34 AM

Hi Steve,

Another option is to buy Power BI Embedded service, create a web application which can play a role of report container. By using such web application you may have control over user authorization they do not have to own Azure/O365 account). Pricing starts from 670 EUR per month, PBI embed + App service Plan).

You can have as many readers as you want but you have to monitor your report performance as PBI Embedded is like PBI Premium and you have certain capacity at your disposal.

Regards,

——————————
      Hubert Kobierzewski
      Board member
      Data Community PL
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Mike Hammons

May 15, 2020 at 3:26 PM

Hi Steve, 

Others have posted options and it is not currently possible to share an app that will be deploy-able to her tenant.

One option for that, would be to send her the pbix file and she can then Publish that to her tenant. The issue will be no ability to refresh the data.

Mike

——————————
      Mike Hammons
      Director, Business Intelligence
      AKA Enterprise Solutions
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Steve Simon replied 4 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘How do I share a PowerBI App with users outside of my Org?’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!