ESS Access at employee home

• ESS Access at employee home

Posted by Pamela Stephenson on June 6, 2023 at 9:34 am

We are using the Employee Self Service. We are having issues with employees only being able to connect, when they are onsite. Does anyone have suggestions on why they are unable to connect from home?

Beat Bucher replied 11 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • David Morinello

June 6, 2023 at 9:53 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

Are your remote employees using a VPN?

There is a whole security setup discussion about the server being visible inside or also outside of the company network.

• Pamela Stephenson

June 6, 2023 at 10:15 am
    Up
    Down

David,

We are a manufacturer, and our employees are not using a VPN or connecting in remotely. All the connection is from their home networks, that they may have.

Pam

• David Morinello

June 6, 2023 at 10:27 am
    Up
    Down

What system are you running, Dynamics GP or D365 and what version?

• Pamela Stephenson

June 6, 2023 at 10:53 am
      Up
      Down

David,

We are on GP 2018, that was updated at year-end. (18.5.1596). It is the onsite version.

Pam

• David Morinello

June 6, 2023 at 4:36 pm
    Up
    Down

I assume this has never worked?

If so, and this is getting outside my comfort zone, it is likely due to the initial setup of ESS. Internal users can connect because they are inside your secure network. Allowing access outside the local network takes more setup work so your users can connect but bad players can’t get to your data.

Did you or your IT do the ESS install, or did your GP Partner? I recommend reaching out to them.

Not sure if this will help, but it may be useful for the concepts.

(+) DNS Overview for External Workflow 2.0 Email Notification Approval – Microsoft Dynamics GP Community

• Pamela Stephenson

June 6, 2023 at 4:56 pm
      Up
      Down

David,

We are reaching out to our GP partner to help. They did the initial setup, and it was working in the past, but we are not sure when the issues started, as employees just started connecting at work, and not telling us there was an issue with it.

I know IT recently had to renew our certificate, so maybe that caused something to change.

Pam

• David Morinello

June 7, 2023 at 9:15 am
        Up
        Down

Certificate issues sound like a likely candidate since it worked in the past.

If you can pinpoint a date where it stopped working for home users, you should be able to find the issue and hopefully have a quick resolution.

Very nice!

• Beat Bucher

June 7, 2023 at 3:35 pm
          Up
          Down

Pam,

I concur with David, as renewing the SSL cert could well throw the entire Web client into a limbo and would require a re-install of the whole Web Client Server.. I have seen this happen in the past, so wouldn’t be surprised.

The discussion ‘ESS Access at employee home’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!