Project Categories using Purchase Agreement

• Project Categories using Purchase Agreement

Posted by Patrick Perlas on May 6, 2020 at 11:01 am
    • Patrick Perlas

May 6, 2020 at 11:01 AM

We are currently looking into using Purchase Agreements generated from Project Management and Accounting.  As I’m testing this, it would appear that the Project Categories used with the Purchase Agreements need to be set up as Transaction Type “Item”.  We are trying to use Project Categories set up as Transaction Type “Expense”, however I can’t seem to add a Project category to a Purchase Agreement line if it is set up for a Transaction Type of “Expense”.

I am using a Commitment type of “Product value commitment”.  I’ve also tried using commitment type of “Value commitment”.  Thie issue is in the Line Details section, under the “Project” tab.  I can assign the correct Project ID and Activity number, but the Category needs to be set to transaction type “Item” for me to add it to the field.

Is anyone aware of a configuration that would allow this?  

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

• Patrick Perlas

May 6, 2020 at 11:02 AM

I forgot to add, we are on Dynamics 365FO.

Thanks again.

• Shilpi Thakur

May 6, 2020 at 4:55 PM

Hi Patrick,

Please share some screenshots of the D365 F&O project categories setup and the use of project categories on the purchase agreement. 

Have you checked the Project/line group properties under the Project categories form? 

Have you checked your category validation project assignments setup?

After all these settings please select the correct Category within the purchase agreement Line details/ Project/Category field

Purchase agreement - Line category

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
      Shilpi

——————————
      Shilpi Thakur
      Senior AX/D365 Microsoft Consultant
      Dynact Consulting Ltd
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Patrick Perlas

May 6, 2020 at 6:10 PM

Hi Shilpi,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess the issue I am running up against is the Project Category I am using on the Purchase Agreement seems to need to be set up for “Item” transactions, and we use Project Categories that are “Expense”.

So, for example, I have a project that uses Project Category Hardware, which is set up as follows:

I create a Purchase agreement from a Project in Project Management, and use a corresponding Procurement Category:

In line details, in the Project tab, I select the Category that I displayed in the first screenshot:

However, when I try to save the Purchase Agreement, I receive the following error:

I set up a Test category that is set up for “Item”, and that seems to work fine:

So I guess my main question is, it this configurable, Item vs. Expense, or is this designed to only handle Project Categories set up as Item transactions?  

I read through your suggestions, and if it is covered there, I missed it and I apologize.

Thanks.

Patrick

• Shilpi Thakur

May 6, 2020 at 7:40 PM

Hi Patrick,

Thank You for sharing the screenshots. 

Yes you may have answered the question in your previous post.

The main thing to understand is that you cannot have the same category coding for item and expenses. There is separation between expense and item categories even though ultimately they are hitting the same accounts.

Thanks,
      Shilpi

——————————
      Shilpi Thakur
      Freelance AX/D365 Microsoft Consultant
      Dynact Consulting Ltd
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Patrick Perlas

May 6, 2020 at 8:26 PM

Thanks for the reply, Shilpi.

Just to make sure I understand, you agree that this is limited to “Item” Project Categories, and we cannot use “Expense” Project Categories?

Again, I appreciate your help.

Patrick

• Shilpi Thakur

May 7, 2020 at 12:27 AM

Yes, as per your screenshots it is limited to Item Project category.

I am not aware of your business requirements, but would be interesting to see what are they and then explore what options can be made available.

——————————
      Shilpi Thakur
      Freelance AX/D365 Microsoft Consultant
      Dynact Consulting Ltd
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Patrick Perlas replied 4 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Project Categories using Purchase Agreement’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!