Planning Optimization VS MRP

Tagged: 

• Planning Optimization VS MRP

Posted by Rohit Sharma on June 8, 2023 at 9:14 am

We had an issue with MRP this week and were told by Microsoft support that “classic
    master planning engine and functionality is no longer supported
    ” and we need to move to Planning Optimization.

While we have it in our D365 roadmap to move to Planning Optimization – we are still using MRP & need to support business.

Anyone else still using “classic master planning engine” and expect product support?

Thank you

Jamie Loeks replied 11 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Drew Lencsak

June 8, 2023 at 9:58 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hi Rohit. You are correct that the current recommendation is to implement Planning optimization because the master planning engine in traditional MRP is being deprecated. Currently, released 10.0.33 added support for Process manufacturing, which was one of the missing pieces that the classic MRP engine supported. Per Microsoft in their 3/5/23 TechTalk on Planning optimization, there is no timeline to fully remove the classic master planning engine although it is being deprecated. When it is fully removed, the announcement would be 12-18months ahead of the date to allow customers to migrate. So although the recommendation is to use Planning optimization, technically you can continue to use the standard planning engine (however, I’m not sure on the agreement of support). I have not seen an official release that updates from that March statement, but I could be wrong.

• Crystal Ahrens

Organizer
    June 8, 2023 at 10:00 am
    Up
    Down

Many are many users are reaching out to their implementation partners. If you have any customizing around MRP it may be a place to start

• Jamie Loeks

June 8, 2023 at 12:51 pm
    Up
    Down

Rohit we recently had this same issue with MSFT support, the message was unless you were using Lean, An exception due to ISV, or you were getting no orders or a full blockage on MRP, MSFT would not work to resolve a bug in Classic MRP. I have also seen what appears to be updates for planning optimization impacting classic in some unusual ways (dates, lead times, etc.). I have been recommending our clients to move to planning optimization soon since classic is such a black box and with MSFT being more aggressive in not supporting it.

The discussion ‘Planning Optimization VS MRP’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!